Agnostic.com

8 1

What is the biggest crime? And why??

Janakiraman 5 Nov 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Murder cannot be reversed nor can it be repaired. Murder leaves a void in our world, it kills potential and it kills human progression. Many crimes come close to murder but they will never be as bad or as devastating as murder.

Religion.
Because it is responsible for all of the others. . .

As an example, religious terrorism.

Religion is like a tree (simile there). The prevailing argument about terrorism, is that is is the result of the extremist branch of that religion. So the answer is, cut off the branch. But the roots are poisonous, and a new extremist branch will grow from the poisonous roots of the religious tree.

Slavery:
Can we even pretend that condoning slavery is not the result of specific biblical passages among the Abrahamic religions specifically encouraging the enslavement and submission of "inferior" populations of people?

Genocide: please find me an instance of genocide that was not religiously inspired to some degree.

Oh and this guy . . .

Those things have existed with or without religion. Yes, maybe religion may have made those crimes more common, but things such as slavery and genocide have happened without religion in mind too.

The first codification of slavery, the Code of Hammurabi, was written by "a righteous man who feared god" Anu, the SkyFather, and Bel, also a god, inspired the Code. The first codification of slavery had divine inspiration. Prior to The Code of Hammurabi, the Sumerian kings would send bands of men to raid neighboring city-states and acquire slaves. As justification Sumer kings would claim that their gods would grant them victory over an inferior people. The first history and writings of slavery were divinely inspired. Religious justification for enslavement has stretched back millennia.

The first genocides were also divinely inspired. From the Melos during the Peloponnesian wars to the Midianites in the Old Testament. The destruction of Carthage was also divinely inspired, over an inferior people. While I do stand corrected that not all genocides (the Soviet genocides specifically) were not carried out in the name of religion. The vast majority and the groundwork for the concept was attributed to divine will.

A good atheist admits his mistakes. I did make too broad of a generalization.

The institution of slavery and the framework for the conducting of genocide were both divinely inspired by the Sky Daddy concepts of the ancient and even modern world. It is easier to convince people to commit atrocities in the name of divine absurdities. Once other rulers saw the effectiveness of divine proclamation it was continued for millennia to justify slavery and genocide. ( If you don't do as I say, you will make the sky papa made, and you don't want to upset sky papa)

The one I expected.

The biggest crime is stealing; when you kill you steal a life, when you lie you steal trust, when you sexually abuse a child you steal a childhood
, when you genocide you steal right of existence.
So stop stealing and there will be no crime.

uzair Level 3 Nov 26, 2017

Our government's complicity in all crimes for which we fund with our tax dollars making the taxpaying public accomplices.

Betty Level 8 Nov 26, 2017

In my lifetime the Vietnam war

yes

I hear ya brother.

Destruction of personhood/agency. That is part of slavery, rape, violence, assault, murder, theft... It is the crime within the crime.

Cruelty because it is antithetical to our virtues and inflicts unnecessary suffering.

If by biggest, you mean most repulsive, then trafficking of under age individuals for the purpose of involuntary sexual servitude has to be as vile and disgusting as it gets. I don't think I need to explain why.

True enough. But if there is a hell, then there has to be an exceptionally nightmarish and horrifying corner of it reserved for those who traffick or purchase children.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5303
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.