Agnostic.com

12 1

What are your views on the Simulation Theory........anyone?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am fascinated by the whole concept. It is a relatively new thing on my radar so I am interested in hearing all that I can about differing views and idea's on the whole thing. Honestly sometimes I think that it wouldn't take much to convince me that it is our reality. Some interesting comments here.

I think its fascinating. I play around with this theory in my head a lot. Ultimately we have to act like what we perceive is really reality, or what our brain approximates reality to be.

Interesting theory, but I'm not convinced.

"Are We Living in a Computer Simulation?

"High-profile physicists and philosophers gathered to debate whether we are real or virtual—and what it means either way"

From the discussion:
ROOM FOR SKEPTICISM

Yet not everyone on the panel agreed with this reasoning. “If you’re finding IT solutions to your problems, maybe it’s just the fad of the moment,” [Neil deGrasse] Tyson pointed out. “Kind of like if you’re a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”

[scientificamerican.com]

For all intents and purposes, even a reality that is simulated is still My Reality and I am going to exist with purpose. Meaning the Pursuit of Happiness with Compassion and Integrity.

The Theory Has Been Around Since The 17th Century.Personally I Don't Think We Are Living In A Computer Generated Simulation.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 8, 2018

I think, therefore it dosen't matter. To reinforce what some others have said... or at least what I think they have said. It is the reality of what we percieve that is real. The subjective nature of our own viewpoint cannot prove any other reality than that..

Simulation. Like in the film "The Matrix." To my mind the only way we would even know to ask about this is to have gotten so smart that we made a movie about it. Not many people prior to that movie would be thinking on it. That same idea goes for the "brain in a vat" thing. If you go backwards in time it gets less and less likely to find anyone believing a "brain in a vat."

Then we have believers that claim how wonderful it is that god gave us DNA and all the things that can be solved or known with proper use of DNA analysis. Praise god. The thing is, DNA research was very limited in 1980. We didn't know how to use it so much then. Believers say time is different with god. When do I start laughing here? This is the same god that doesn't want any to perish but will still send you to hell.

The bottom line is that it is OK to not know things. Look at the strides in science in the last 200 years. There are many things we do not know. There are some things we may never know. The alternative is to start making things up.

I think it's complete bollocks.

It is by definition unfalsefiable and therefore a fruitless and pointless hypothesis. My life is the only reality that I know and experience - I can't change the rules or laws that I appear to experience and so I will leave speculation on the topic to science fiction writers, philosophers and those with more time on their hands than I have.

I'll just get on with enjoying my life - simulation or not.

It is as unproveable as religion, and it seems to me to be as far-fetched. There are things we don't know yet, and maybe never will, so I guess it's as possible as anything else.

I think it's actually a pretty depressing possibility. If all of this isn't real, the universe is a green screen background for some super intellect to project a holographic image onto, and we are fooled into interacting with it. Anything that would impose this reality on even artificial constructs is more capricious and cruel than even the bible god.

JimG Level 8 Apr 8, 2018

If you are think of the possibility of a Matrix like simulation.

I think that it does not matter.

The only thing that is real is what we perceive and there is no hidden knowable reality behind the phenomenal. The manifest image is our primary reality, the scientific image is secondary, which is not to say less important, simply that it is an abstraction or reduction derived from and therefore dependent on what we observe or what can be known by induction.

cava Level 7 Apr 8, 2018

Seems a bit pointless to me. If we were simply a simulation would we live any differently?

I like your point. My introduction to this theory is relatively new and I hadn't considered that question.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:53067
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.