Agnostic.com

3 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Or better yet, stand outside in the sun naked for an hour or two.

I am fairly certain that I'd be burnt to a crisp if I stood outside naked for an hour or two. There are parts of me that the sun hasn't touched in about 60 years. My last exposure to the sun while I painted my deck in shorts left me with a PMLE, a sun exposure (Poly Morphic Light Eruption) itchy rash on my legs. And even in my neighborhood I'd likely be arrested to be outside sans clothing. I'm just going to increase the amount of Vitamin D3 that I take. I've had the PMLE a few times in my life, it is very annoying.

@HippieChick58 I guess I should have been more explicit. We need to do this slowly and build up a tan gradually. Unfortunately, some are more sensitive to burning. Where I live the northern latitudes often mean the sun is more intense and one needs to be extra careful. A part of my reply was about sarcasm.

@JackPedigo Having lived near Everett and Tacoma, I still burned rapidly. My German ancestry depleted me of melanin. I had several severe burn in the course of my life and docs now tell me sun exposure before 10 am and after 3 pm only. One of my cousins has had several skin cancers removed. And yes, sarcasm is tricky when there is not inflection.

@HippieChick58 Thank you, I'll try and remember that. So you do know in this area one needs to be especially careful. I have always had a problem with my nose getting red. Now, it seems, wearing a mask has given me the added benefit of not getting a burned nose.

@JackPedigo I used to spend most of the summer with a red nose. That short walk from car to building was enough time for the nose to light up! I hadn't thought about it, but yes, the mask is part of the reason my nose hasn't been as red this year.

@HippieChick58 How about the red/tan arm from leaning outside the open car window?

@JackPedigo I never did that, I always use the AC and keep the windows up when I drive. I don't like the noise from the wind, and now with hearing aids even more so.

@HippieChick58 A/C as standard is fairly new. You always had A/C in your car? I didn't get a car with A/C until 2000.

@JackPedigo I think I've had AC in every car I've had since 1983, or even before that. I remember growing up, 6 kids in one station wagon, and NO AC in Nebraska in the summer. No wonder my cousin called us smelly little kids.

Thanks for posting this! I've been taking extra D for a couple of years. A relatively light dose 1000 mg dialy that I upped - 2,000 daily several months ago. 1,000 in the morning with breakfast and 1,000 with dinner.

This seems to be a partial explanation for the virus affect POC more severely. The UV protection provided by melanin in the skin also absorbs less vitamin D from the sun. Take supplements. Vitamin D and Zinc.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:530875
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.