Agnostic.com

3 2

William Horton in Facebook:

I am very angry tonight, at two different but related things. And if anyone wants to defriend me for expressing that anger, don’t let the screen door hit you on your way out.

The first I’ve already posted about multiple times today. The President of the United States – the President of the United States – thinks that when a police officer shoots a guy seven times in the back, in a car with his kids in it, when a police officer kneels with his knee on an unarmed man’s neck for over nine minutes while the man stops breathing, when police officers fire so many shots into a woman’s apartment where she’s asleep in bed that they not only kill her but send bullets into the neighbor’s apartment, that when a police officer shoots a man in his car with his girlfriend and her four-year-old child looking on because he has “wide-spaced nostrils”, well, that’s because the police officer choked, like a golfer missing a three-foot putt. And even when one of the most lunatic-fringe Fox News personalities suggests, oh, maybe you don’t really mean to compare police killings to golf, he doubles down on it. That makes me furious. I don’t understand why it doesn’t make every Republican in the U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives furious. I don’t understand why it doesn’t make every voter in the country furious. And if it doesn’t make you furious, I don’t understand who you are.

The second is this. Today, I’ve seen people post about how, oh, well, they’re just not motivated to turn out for Biden, he doesn’t offer anything to real progressives, etc. I listened to a radio discussion about people who didn’t like Harris because they didn’t like what she did as a DA and Attorney General, and so on and so forth – the Democrats didn’t give us Sanders or Warren, and so we might as well just stay home.

I’m no particular fan of Biden. There is a way in which I’m fearful that the Democrats have done what the Republicans did with Bob Dole in 1996 – faced with a highly vulnerable incumbent, they chose a candidate that was least well situated among the mainstream candidates to defeat that incumbent. (That is a carefully phrased sentence, because the Democrats could have offered up candidates that were much less well situated than I think Biden is. I am a fan of Harris, for multiple reasons, and only regret that she faltered out of the chute for lack of a competently organized campaign.)

But here’s the thing. This is not a race like Nixon-Humphrey, or Ford-Carter, or Bush 41-Clinton, or McCain-Obama, or Romney-Obama, or even Bush-Gore, where even if (as happened in some of those races) the less desirable candidate won, the country was still going to be led by someone committed to the basic principles of American government. This is not a race where if you don’t like one of the two major-party candidates, you can stay home or throw away your vote on John Anderson or Ralph Nader or Ross Perot or someone and still have the comfort of knowing that things would still be within normal limits for the next four years.

This is a race where the choice is between a left-mainstream Democratic ticket and an incumbent, allegedly Republican, President who is utterly corrupt, utterly unprincipled, and utterly uncommitted to anything resembling the basic principles of American government. This is a race where indulging your pique that Sanders or Warren didn’t get the nomination and staying home, or voting for some throwaway candidate, makes it perilously likely that we will give another four years to the man who thinks police killings of unarmed Black men and women are missed three-foot putts, the man who thinks there are good people on both sides of white supremacist rallies, the man who has turned the Department of Justice into his personal Tonton Macoute, the man who has mortgaged our national security to Vladimir Putin. This is not a case of “Oh, the hell with them. If they won’t vote for my man McGovern, let’s see how they like four more years of Nixon.” If you claim you think Trump is a dangerous madman, but say you can’t get behind the only other choice that is on the ballot because Biden’s not left-wing enough for you, then that makes me furious too.

This isn’t a game. There is one way to cast your vote that gives America a chance to defeat the man who makes James Buchanan look like an overlooked candidate for Mount Rushmore. There is one way to cast your vote that gives America a chance to send the most venal, corrupt and frankly stupid President we’ve ever had back to the golf course for good. If your ideological purity means more to you than that, I don’t know what to say. Except that I don’t understand who you are either, other than someone who talks a good game about Trump but apparently just doesn’t mean it when it counts.

Barnie2years 8 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm surprised we haven't had some agnostic members tell you that they're going to do what they want to anyway so perhaps some of them are waking up.

A Democratic Party will veer more to the left when the electorate gets younger. AOC and many other candidates are changing the Democratic Party. It will not happen overnight and it will not happen at all if we don't keep demanding it.

I'd give you my opinion, but I'm one of those "suckers" and " losers" that joined the military.

The only ways you can help drump are stay home on election day or vote 3rd party. If you are planning on either of these things, just vote for drump, do not pretend you are not.
Oh, and I am Sick of people saying, "my state will go red/blue/ whatever so I do not need to vote"....this country needs to make a Clear statement by # of voters!

OMG SO TRUE! I am a Bernie person, but I am NOT a selfish asshole like some INSANE lefties. (I know someone personally who is HAPPY Trump got elected because "Now they can see what Republicans are REALLY LIKE! " This woman is a lawyer, too....ooofah.)
What I would like to know is how voting for some nobody is going to make the DNC 'hurt' And, like you, I get super furious at people in blue states who are NOT going to vote for Biden - again, to teach someone somewhere a 'lesson"? As if the DNC/DCCC gives a rat's ass what we peasants think? That has been WELL-ILLUSTRATED for YEARS now. I thought everyone learned their lesson from 2016, but I guess not, because I still hear it. And always from someone who has NOTING TO LOSE - have you ever noticed that?

The only way change to the DNC happens is if we have a viable government, which we won't if Trump has a second term for sure. What needs to happen is pressure on Biden to appoint the right people to his cabinet. Vote, vote vote at the mid-terms and every other election and start getting progressives into the state and local governments where you can so they can get experience (like AOC, who I look forward to seeing on the ballot or Senate and at some point president!). The problem is after the presidential election the Democrats go to sleep for four years until the next presidential election if they won. That's certainly what happened to Obama. He had two years with a Democratic congress before the Tea Party Republicans made an all out effort at the mid-terms and gave him Moscow Mitch to road block every initiative he and the minority Democrats in Congress tried to do. We can't let that happen again! Vote, everyone at every election for the candidates who represent your position. You may not win every time, but chance are you will start putting younger and more progressive candidates at some point and change will happen. Sitting back and pouting because your candidate didn't win this time is not going to make it happen ever.

@Barnie2years it's distressing to see you writing about the Democratic party being your enemy.

This election will determine whether or not there are anymore elections in the future. Don't be a jerk! Vote for Biden.

@BitFlipper not sure where you got the idea that I would not vote for Biden. I do not support the DNC because they are out of touch with a large section of Democratic voters. I am not financially supporting Biden because I don’t believe at this point that anyone can be influenced to vote for him by spending money. I support the Lincoln Project because they may turn some Republican votes away from Trump. I support several Congressional candidates in states other than my own. I support our Democratic Senator in his run for office.
Calling people jerks is not the best way to influence voting patterns. Especially when that wasn’t even the issue I was presenting.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:531232
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.