Agnostic.com

8 11

Coining of the word “agnosticism”:
[science.jrank.org]Agnosticism-THOMAS-HUXLEY-COINING-AGNOSTIC.html

MissKathleen 9 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Excellent post

Thanks. Good to learn the history of the word that describes my philosophical basis.

When I reveal I'm agnostic, often I detect a vague expression, which may suggest theists struggle to figure out how to argue in order to convert an agnostic. My motives are not to challenge or change their beliefs, so they are in a weak position from which to challenge my beliefs by debate, since I've already admitted 'I do not know.' Being agnostic is like being unattached to the outcome, restrained from argument, and non-reactive to other beliefs.

Have done quite a bit of reading about Thomas Henry Huxley, loved the part where he put Wilberforce to shame, self-taught biologist, grandfather of Aldous Huxley . . . . one cannot help but admire the man.

That's another word worth knowing about. It doesnt hold you back on anything else but the question of that word.

The reason agnostics are so rare is because humans are only just now learning to embrace the concept of "I don't know."
Look Egyptian and Babylonian math would have been a lot easier if they had a "0" place holder but they weren't that intellectually developed.
"I don't know" is a life place holder just as "0" is the math place holder.
I however claim to be an atheist, not because I know there's no God, I just find the prospect preposterous at face value. It's not a knowledge claim, it's a belief claim, I am convinced there are no anthropomorphic immortals of any kind.
Don't call it faith, Christians would deny "faith" was their reason for not believing in Zeus, so same thing.

If one were to look at JUST the man-made gods, one could laugh loudly at them and easily claim to be an Atheist in that regard; however, there is nothing to prove that there is not some force, (something Einstein might refer to as the great mystery of the universe), we often experience this thing in dreams, in the depths of science that finds enigmatic results, (Is Schrodinger's cat alive or dead?) and the like. This is where the ways divide, as Nietzsche might have said . . . . claim you know there is or is not, or seek answers. . . . .
"Every true faith is infallible, it performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishment of an effective proof. Here, the ways of men divide. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search" Friedrich Nietzsche
One could look at his use of the word "faith" here as faith that no god exists. The man-invented gods are nothing more than shit-stains, skid marks, or what ever you want to ridicule them with, I'd agree . . . . but that great mystery out there, I will not call it necessarily a god even, but it is enough to give the inquiring mind pause prior to claiming something that could be different than we expect, or want to expect.

Good metaphore, a little more work on the text and it would make a good post.

it's not called What is it? for nothing, yeh

Cool piece. Thx.

Thanks for the info.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:531260
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.