Agnostic.com

3 1

Homophobia is alive and well in India: [bbc.com]

anglophone 9 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most families in general don't warm up to their children being different and this intolerance and hatred is mostly stems from religion - what is taught in these religious books and the temples, churches etc In hinduism, gods are either male or female.
Indian families on the other hand are over-the-top when it comes to tolerance regarding their children. Whether your child marries into another language group, then there's the cast superstition and they would even disown their children if they got divorced. It's like "don't bring shame to my name", even if you're stranded with no place to go. They have the most superstitious beliefs in the world.
I know of many Indian gay or lesbian people in South Africa. They've left home and lived their own lives without problems. Yes, their family would wash their hands over them but then it's their (the parents) loss, not the individuals living their chosen path. I had two gay guys in my class at school (Indian school in SA), but we never made them feel less human and they were accepted amongst their peers. ...but in the case of these two policewomen in India, it speaks volumes about how backward the community and society is in general in India. India needs to shake herself off from what keeps them behind.

Not just India.....why are you singling out India?

@AnneWimsey I had many gay and lesbian colleagues in the workplace over the years. We are all human beings. Who people are attracted to is their business. That's how we've evolved and we must accept differences outside of religious propaganda. I've never had issues with gays and lesbians. It's ugly to label people and prevent, mock or condemn their existence or who they're attracted to. It's sad that people have to seek police protection from their communities and backward families.

@TimeOutForMe still not explaining why you are singling out India, when in parts of Africa, for example, "being gay" is a death sentence, literally.

@AnneWimsey yes in countries like Zambia and Malawi they will kill you for that. ...also in townships in South Africa.
I was talking about South africa to you above.
...but yes OP has posted an article about lesbians in India, how those police women have to go the route of police protection fearing for their life and that of their families, is unacceptable. Perhaps he's not only singling out India but since he came across that article 🤷♀️

I was not singling out India, it was just a piece that made me angry. I also commend @TimeOutForMe's replies to you.

Homophobia is alive and well everywhere, generally to the degree that that part of society is influenced by religion, any religion.

My only "homophobia" is that they have stolen one of my favourite words and re-assigned its meaning - Gay.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:531498
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.