Agnostic.com

10 18

Have you seen glacial flour?

"Why is the river milky-white?" I asked. At age 21, I backpacked completely around Mt. Rainier. It took a week. Growing up in Michigan, I never saw this before.

"It's glacial flour, tiny particles of rock ground by glaciers into silt," Tim replied. We were just below the Carbon Glacier on the north side of Mt. Rainier.

"Rock flour, or glacial flour, consists of fine-grained, silt-sized particles of rock, generated by mechanical grinding of bedrock by glacial erosion or by artificial grinding to a similar size. Because the material is very small, it becomes suspended in meltwater making the water appear cloudy, which is sometimes known as glacial milk."

[nps.gov]

Photo:

White River, WA, September 2020.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never heard of that but it makes sense

Interesting, never knew that. Swam in Dead Horse Lake fed by glacial run off and it was this milky color. I was too cold to contemplate why.

Snow melt can often produce some beautiful colours too, because it is too cold for alga to grow amongst other things. I saw this beautiful azure blue river, with perhaps a hint of milk, in Turkey a couple of years ago.

Beautiful. Never seen it my self.

Yes, I've seen it while hiking in NZ. That must be the most beautiful, unspoiled rugged area of the world.

@Cyklone

New Zealand? Lucky you!

@LiterateHiker I've done a lot of hiking there, it's only a quick jump across the pond for me. 😀

Nope, never heard of it.

Wow amazing

Nice pic.

Beautiful ,thourghly enjoyed the geography lessons of both Washington State and Switzerland

Don't seem to get that in Spain. Nor in East Africa. However, I have seen it in the upper reaches of the Rhone river, in Switzerland, as I often drive through Gletsch, near the base of the glacier that is the source of this massive European river. The link below might tempt you to try hiking there!

[valais.ch]

@Petter

I love Switzerland. My parents took us four kids on an art tour in Europe when I was 15.

Washington State has spectacular mountains for hiking. I'm happy here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:531930
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.