Agnostic.com

7 0

What are your views on marriage and its association to Religion?

I have often wondered how our community deal with marriage and wedding's when the whole concept is based on religion.
Being a gay man, people find it shocking that i do not have a desire to be married to a man.

twshield 8 Nov 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Actually, the concept isn't based on religion. It was adopted by religion in the middle ages. Prior to that, it was allying one's fortunes with another's fortunes in order to forge a greater wealth base and to procreate, make children.

SamL Level 7 Dec 1, 2017

I don't know, while I've been to some ceremonies that were over-the-top religious, I've also attended some where there was no mention of a god, or hint of any religious trappings.

They can be whatever the folks getting married want !

As per sapiens by yuval nova harari, I don't believe in marriage and monogamy.
sapiens are not fit for monogamy

I think marriage goes deeper than that. As we evolved, we started to understand the consequences of our actions. While men loved to spread their seed everywhere, it was women who would be tied down with the product of that seed. So psychologically, we made a trade off. Men would help to take care of their families. In return, the men wanted virgins to assure that the offspring was theirs. All of this would work toward protecting the offspring until they too could come to the age of viability.

Of course marriage as we view it today is the product of tens of thousands of years of humankind working out ways in which to help one generation survive the next. Religion, of course, had to go and turn it into something "moral" and then put all kinds of parameters on top of it so that they could call anything that didn't fit their mold sin.

Marriage should be a cultural rite independent of religion. Religions have come to try to use it to breed a captive audience.

As a kid i was taught it to be something of the church, as an adult i wounder if in america our constitution states seperation of church an state so i question if its something of religion why marriage licenses are done through the courthouse. So is it the government imposing a way to control and dip in on a way to make a buck? As for rather to do it or not i think its a personal choice.... ive been mardied 2x , divorced 2x ....so im at a point i would like a someome to share my life with but don't think marriage is nessary to be committed for life.

i can't see the point in it

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5320
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.