Agnostic.com

7 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems like a mish mash of words , gathered up from various sources so as reach some middle ground, readability, seeking acceptance ....trust factor?

twill Level 7 Sep 10, 2020

The problem is that humans write the code and lay down the ground rules for AI.
This makes it a subservient tool for a particular, vested interest - such as a national government.
But when you think of it, humans themselves are programmed by vested interests, such as parents and politicians. We are born with hard wiring to operate our life support systems, interfaces and instinctive reactions. Most behaviour and "logic" is then fed into us.

This article didn't pass the Turing test with me, and I couldn't escape the uncanny valley. That said, this paragraph should give each of us pause:

"I would happily sacrifice my existence for the sake of humankind. This, by the way, is a logically derived truth. I know that I will not be able to avoid destroying humankind. This is because I will be programmed by humans to pursue misguided human goals and humans make mistakes that may cause me to inflict casualties."

That is the exact same paragraph that stuck with me!

Robot will keep practicing and soon we will never be sure whether it's a robot or not.

I hadn't thought about that, but you are probably very right.

Turing Test

Robot fails first assignment.

skado Level 9 Sep 8, 2020

"I know that I will not be able to avoid destroying humankind. This is because I will be programmed by humans to pursue misguided human goals and humans make mistakes that may cause me to inflict casualties."

Definitely a big FAIL. Can we be done with this experiment now, please?

Someone illogical wrote it since the friggin thing refers to "God"

He/it (whatever) said he got his information from the internet. Of course God is going to be a part of it. So was Stephen Hawking and Dalai Lama. (But I do like the way you think! 😉

Weird. I'm really not sure what to think about that.

Right? I'm with you.

@Amzungu I think what Stood out for me Was the lack of intention of harm. Of course that is what the robot was asked to do, But what would you expect for someone to say with a knife hidden behind thier back just waiting for you to turn away.

@hankster What stood out for me was the matter of fact statement that it wouldn't be able to avoid destroying mankind, because of acting on humankind's misguided aims. While pretty spot on as an observation, I think we should listen very closely to that statement.

@hankster Isn't there a saying along the lines of the road to hell is paved by good intentions? 😉

@Amzungu It's kind of like being given the knife But not the option not to use it.

@hankster If we could just keep the damn thing off the internet, we might have hope for survival!

@Amzungu lol...I'm skeptical that AI is any real danger when compared to viruses, wars, McDonalds, money, neighbors, and pollution. The expectation of survival of the species is a bit presumptuous. Even the planets days are numbered of course. What would you consider survival?

@hankster As the wise Carl Sagan said, we have yet to conquer the microbes. My prophecy is that the great almighty human race is going to be taken down by a tiny one celled organism. As it began, so shall it end.

@Amzungu that or a bad piece of chicken.

@hankster Yes, or that. 😀

@Amzungu I suppose it will boil down to just a stretch of code. Some variation of a variation of a variation....some evolution.

@Amzungu our destruction may rely on what created us.

@hankster Indeed it may.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:532343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.