Agnostic.com

7 2

The (Non) Obligation?

Do you think that Kids have an Obligation to help their Parent(s)/Guardian out(at least Physically) when they get Old?
My answer would be yes, since they helped raise a Child to be a Decent person in more ways than imagined. But IDK, What's y'alls Opinion?

Bigtank9401 5 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. And any decent parent would not guilt or manipulate their kid(s) in to doing so. Unfortunately, my "loving christian" dead mother would play her mother card soo much when she was dying of cancer. And the guilt caused both of us (her daughters) to get back in contact with her and help her. As a terrible mother, she did not deserve the help. She continued to abuse my sister all throughout the help she was receiving. My sister is finally in therapy and dealing with the psychological scars now that the bch is dead. Would you say two adult kids that had endured a LIFETIME of abuse, not so much parenting, have obligations to said parental figures?? If yes, congrats you have internalized bullshit religious teachings. The brainwashing is strong in you.

I'm not religious. I asked for Opinions on the matter, I didn't mean to strike a Nerve. But I did include Guardians into the Question because of Situations like you have had. I have had multiple people mentioning just the Parents and I Understand that Not every parent takes care of their Children. I realize that on some of the things I needed to Clarify and that can be explained on my Comment in this post, but there is no need to attack me for asking this question. Talk to me, don't talk at me.

Well then you need to be careful with your wording. Because this notion of love and honour your parents no matter what concept is prevalent in abrahamic religious societies like the US/Canada. And that kind of toxic mentality should be taken in to consideration by people like you. It is your job to be sensitive not my job to teach and guide you how to be sensitive.

Thanks for Commenting y'all. To clear things up, Because I feel like some people misinterpret what my post was about(A good Chunk of it was me because of Specifics)

• I see a lot of people pointing out that the Obligation is not there because they didn't choose to be Born. That's not what I meant. I should have Specified what I meant, I Apologize. What I was meaning by the Post was pointed towards Who Raised the Child or If they were even Raised at all. That's Why I added Guardian. Because I understand that Not every Parent accepts the Responsibility of taking care of that Child.
  • My intial answer to the question was pointed towards if the parents take their Responsibility in their hands. Parents are also not Obligated to take care of their children. We see that with Absent Fathers, Abusers, Neglect, Foster homes, etc. That's another reason Why I added Guardian. But if parents want to accept responsibility and take care of their children, then yes, Children should help out some.
  • I stated that the child should "Help Out" not take care. It is up to the person if they wanna take care of their Parents when they're Old. Most people of Old age can still do a lot of things on their Own, but if they need assistance, That is where the Son/Daughter comes in to Help.
    With different Stories and Upbringings among individuals, It's Hard to get 1 answer with this Topic. It's a Yes and a No. It usually depends on what kind of Parent or Guardian they were? Did they take care or did they Abuse? Did they Neglect or tend to the Children? Etc. It's not a definite answer, but it's a good question none the less...

Asking /looking for gratitude/payback is a LOSER of an idea....going to make yourself Desperately Unhappy when your expectations aren't met.......

In this Case, I don't think So. A child should be grateful for having a Parent or Guardian around to Raise them up. Do things for them that they couldn't do themselves. Not every Kid has that Luxury. So, to me Something has to be done for them. Giving love back to the ones that shown love, Because that's not all that Common.

Nope. Not all parents raise their kids up. I would say my biggest tormentor and bully ion my life was my breeder. She tried to destroy us any chance she got. She did not deserve the caring/loving kids she got, in SPITE of her abuse not BECAUSE of her parenting.

Depends on how you raised them and what they’ve grown to believe.
I’ve spent some time in Japan and it’s largely a societal expectation.
I prefer that over social security though.

The problem that occurs when it is not social security is that it is then in ones interest to have as many kids as possible to ensure being cared for when aged. This is precisely the problem when arguing for birth/population control in places like India. If there is no social security then individual needs supercede community needs.

@Cyklone or teaching a kid or two well.

It's generally a pay it forward thing I think, but if you did a good job raising them you shouldn't have to ask. In 3rd world countries with no aged care (does that include US?) it's expected that the children will support the parents. It's part of their culture. What does that say about us?

Yup my kids do

That's a big depends...

What does it depend on?

@Bigtank9401

1. Are the parents alive? Both my mom and dad were murdered by a drunk driver when I was ten..
  2. Are the children physically and or financially capable to help their parents..
  3. Proximity.. Do they live nearby.
  4. Do they like like, get along with each other.
    I could go on, but I think you get my point..
    It's a multifaceted issue..

🙂

@Cutiebeauty Yeah, I get ya. It's not as Simple as people think it is... But I did add Guardian to the mix. That's something that goes into #1 to fill in. But it's easier said than done

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:532686
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.