Agnostic.com

14 21

Been deprogrammed from religion for about 3 1/2 years. Today was first time since that I was approached by Christian and witnessed to. The stuff I used to wholeheartedly believe I now listened to differently. Without the fear of hell it sounds like a bunch of hogwash. Nobody can answer tough questions they just give generic answers like well the Bible says

abyers1970 7 Sep 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is so harmful because it moralising alloyed to intensity. If they can't find out what may have been originally intended by someone they don't consider fashionable, they should drop the whole thing. Because they have smashed the whole world in on behalf of those who pull their strings..

Kudos to you in the billions, you've made it in to the REAL world.

Have you tried going back to your old place of worship (or something similar)? It’s weeeeeird.

kdmom Level 6 Sep 10, 2020

and notice how they say it as if it were unassailable fact? No "i think" or "possibly" type language? I suspect that that is called "satan's dialectic," and also that the following vv even remark upon that, in code,
So when you see the abomination of desolation spoken of by the prophet Daniel, standing in the holy place (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains

Religion is used to control people. It does that by teaching them not to think about religion. But to follow it.

im thinking that that might be the best way to control a ppl who would kill a scapegoat anyway? Ppl can get pretty evil when their self-interests are threatened i guess

Religion from my POV is basically about conditioning certain social classes and segments of populations to behave, to live, to act, and worship a certain accepted way and that everyone else is messed up, immoral, satans child r whatever else they can concoct in their sick minds. Just look at the Middle East.

yeh, that behavior is actually frowned upon in much of the rest of the world, and even outright illegal in some countries! Israel is i think one of them, believe it or not; proselytizing will at least get you deported lol.

so, fwiw i found out this amazing thing, a few years ago; anything "the Bible says," the Bible also says the exact opposite of, somewhere else! one example,
No son of man may die for another's sins; freaky huh

Yea like that age old saying “Jesus died for our sins” all non believers be proud of who you are!!

You learned to harness the power of your own mind. Well done you! 🙂

I started saying something like this, especially when they say they're "sorry" for me:

"I feel sorry for you. That you were never given any options. That you were indoctrinated with such awful visions of the way the world and beyond works. You weren't well informed - you didn't have the capacity to be. You didn't consent. You never made the choice. It's such a terrible thing to do to a child. To an entire culture of people. You wave around that book like it has all the answers, but I think you know that nothing ever does."

Encounters with theists usually makes me feel sorry for them. I will occasionally point out the (bedrock (fact))-free foundation they have constructed for their unstable (irrational) faith (belief without evidence) system.

Feels good, doesn't it. It has been many years for me, but I was pretty much indoctrinated as a kid. Fortunately for me, a few different things lined up to help put a crack in that indoctrination, and before I was out of college I saw it all as bullshit. It is nice to be able to actually think without everpresent fear repeatedly forbidding certain critical questions from being honestly considered.

Yeah, that's the way it is. When you ask that they show you the evidence and they say something like "You have to open your heart," my answer is "I'll open my mind first."

Fear is the mind-killer. How were you deprogrammed? Or was it a self-deprogramming?

Mvtt Level 7 Sep 9, 2020

I self deprogrammed.

I had an horrible experience that I was trying to get over. I tried hypnosis and it helped me more doing it 1 time than going to church for 3 years. So I started studying hypnosis. Then one day it just hit me. Religion is nothing more than hypnosis

Congratulations on your deprogramming! Yes! No one can answer any real questions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:532701
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.