Agnostic.com

10 2

Can a 2nd grader be unpatriotic? As as young as I can remember I felt uncomfortable making the Pledge of Allegiance.I would hold my hand an inch from my heart.I would only mouth the words. The school taught me to be a good faker.

Treehugger 6 Nov 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Geeeze....! I don't remember the second grade. I do remember my dad was in Vietnam. He sent tapes home instead of writing... he meant well. I was fearful for my dad. People in my town were dying. The news every night on that broken down tv. Scaring the hell out of mom and us. What do i really know as a second grader. We had a lousey Christmas. Food was scarce. I wore old military shoes to school. It was cold and had an old kerosene heater in Our trailer. I failed that grade of school. I was all screwed up. I prayed to God and cried to him. Save my dad. We were abused and we still cried for him. I made sure we had some money and food when i started my family. Heck, some people could say we had it made. Maybe we did. What did i know as a child. I pledged the elegance. I sang the songs. I did anything to stand tall. As a war veteran. I believe in this country. The USA is my home. I love it. I would do it again. As a kid, it requires thought of the child to understand what it means. Its ugly past is a real bummer for a lot of races and cultures. I believe their nose doesn't have to be smeared in it. Today, you are who you are. Not what your ancestors where. Please no disrespect intended. I understand heritage. Mom was 1/2 indian. Dads family were Irish. We are americans now.

I was in elementary school--fourth grade, I think--when "under God" was added. It was back when the communist threat was felt so much. The antidote to that was Christianity, or so the logic went. Separation of church and state was conveniently ignored. It reminds me a great deal of many people's logic nowadays.

I think so. I have never been comfortable with the word/name god in anything. However, I have also never felt comfortable with our country or our government.

I recall thinking that being required (forced) to pledge allegiance seemed similar to what I saw in reels about Hitler that we watched in elementary school. You are not alone in what you sensed as a child.

Zster Level 8 Nov 26, 2017

Why did you feel uncomfortable making the Pledge?

I think kids are the most uninfulanced resources we as adults could ever have. They don't do thing for any real reason and don't limit themselves like we do as adults based on what we have been taught to beleive. So if a small child didnt stand or place their hand over their heart or even take off their hat id see it as a kid being a kid not unpatriotic

Not unpatriotic so much as anti-establishment.

Right on brother! 😉

I don't think that a second-grader (or many adults) really understand what patriotism really means. I understand your behavior. I learned earlier on to fight only he battles that really need fighting and that it does not pay to fight city hall head-on. It gives one the space to be quietly independent.

Faking it is fine. I think that those who blindly follow a nation as dangerous as the US are a little too trusting. A government that kills not only it's own people but it's allies people abroad.
A country that keeps secrets and assassinates overseas leaders is a very very dangerous enemy.

You were right in your beliefs. I prefer to just sing my countries national anthem and prayers not because I believe them but because people who fought for them believed them. I honor their sacrifice and I accommodate their beliefs because I respect their beliefs. In a church I pray when others pray, I sing when others sing, but I think for myself and live for those I love.

As a foreigner I do thing that America is a great country. But just as the Roman Empire was a great empire for some, it was oppressive for others.

Think of the innocent children the Americans bombed in Libya, Iraq, Yemen, Syria, Afghanistan. It's no wonder there are so many terrorists. The second you kill someone's family they have nothing left but a desire for revenge.

America has done so many horrible things to the rest of the world. Your country's military almost killed my dad. A British engineer. Just because he was in Libya when your country bombed it. He had to bury the bodies the next day and has PTSD because of it. I had to help him through some tough times when I was only 14. My mum and older sister weren't strong enough to help him but I was. I never want to see that kind of thing again.

To see someone you love crying is painful. I have very good control over my emotions for my age but that moment almost shattered me. I wasn't strong because I wanted to be. I was strong because I had to be, because no one else was there.

So (this isn't an attack on you, just another opinion) next time you think about America being the greatest country in the world. Think about the lives that were taken or ruined as a side effect of the wars you started and profited from.

As a veteran who has raised my hand and pledged allegiance, I think it is ridiculous to think most civilians appreciate what "allegiance" means, let alone children. Mindless indoctrination irks me now as it did when I was a child. 2nd graders cannot be patriotic.

All indoctrination is wrong and "brainwashed commitment" is not commitment. More importantly, American exceptionalism is a myth, which is why a certain golf course owner needs H1B visas for cooks, waiters and housekeepers. We don't even have qualified housekeepers... Or perhaps we just have an economy designed to make the rich richer and distract the masses with the myth that some self-serving billionaire is looking out for them. That is the price of indoctrination.

I signed up and was proud of my country for many years because it was headed in the right direction. I AM proud of the ideas that guided us for centuries. I have no illusion that it was flawless or even close, but that we were headed in the right direction. Nationalism demands that you continue to believe that whatever direction your nation is headed in is correct. Nationalism is the first step to tyranny. What we need is pride in the ideas and respect for the actual truth. That is what we should be teaching in school.

Just like rational atheism demands that morality have a base outside of religion, we must accept that what made America great is that the government and the press and the free market are all subservient to the people.They must pledge their allegiance to us, not vice versa. When we do that, when we teach that, then our flag and anthem will demand respect. Indoctrination is an insult to America.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5354
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.