Agnostic.com

6 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

2016: Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas): “It has been 80 years since a Supreme Court vacancy was nominated and confirmed in an election year. There is a long tradition that you don’t do this in an election year.”

2018: Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.): “If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump’s term, and the primary process has started, we’ll wait to the next election.”

2016: Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.): “I don’t think we should be moving on a nominee in the last year of this president’s term - I would say that if it was a Republican president.”

2016: Sen. David Perdue (R-Ga.): “The very balance of our nation’s highest court is in serious jeopardy. As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I will do everything in my power to encourage the president and Senate leadership not to start this process until we hear from the American people.”

2016: Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa): “A lifetime appointment that could dramatically impact individual freedoms and change the direction of the court for at least a generation is too important to get bogged down in politics. The American people shouldn’t be denied a voice.”

2016: Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.): “The campaign is already under way. It is essential to the institution of the Senate and to the very health of our republic to not launch our nation into a partisan, divisive confirmation battle during the very same time the American people are casting their ballots to elect our next president.”

2016: Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.): “In this election year, the American people will have an opportunity to have their say in the future direction of our country. For this reason, I believe the vacancy left open by Justice Antonin Scalia should not be filled until there is a new president.”

2016: Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.): “The Senate should not confirm a new Supreme Court justice until we have a new president.”

2016: Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Col.): “I think we’re too close to the election. The president who is elected in November should be the one who makes this decision.”

2016: Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio): “I believe the best thing for the country is to trust the American people to weigh in on who should make a lifetime appointment that could reshape the Supreme Court for generations. This wouldn’t be unusual. It is common practice for the Senate to stop acting on lifetime appointments during the last year of a presidential term, and it’s been nearly 80 years since any president was permitted to immediately fill a vacancy that arose in a presidential election year.”

2016: Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.): “I strongly agree that the American people should decide the future direction of the Supreme Court by their votes for president and the majority party in the U.S. Senate.”

Amy Coney Barrett is a super religious Catholic and a protege of that fat pig Scalia.

She must be blocked. We must put a huge amount of pressure on Republican senators to make sure that at least 4 of them show the mettle to act with morality.

Her body is not even cold yet, people. Can we at least show that much respect?

Respect? Mmmm that still exists? Lol

@SeaRay215ex Well, I at least am still trying.

@MyTVC15 myself included. But you know the way things are today.

we? fuck we! what about the right who has been at it since they heard the news?

@Mofo1953 I know moscow mitch has, but I have not heard anything that the liar in chief has said. I have kept the tv off all day so all I know is what I read and I don't tweet. I really do think that we can at least take the weekend to let the bereaved grieve. This is not a religious thing I am saying it. It is just that I have lost 5 people in my life this last year and I am skipping out of my brother-in laws memorial as we speak because I am afraid of covid, so my head is not in a good space and I really do not want to be fretting about this right now..

@MyTVC15 while you were sleeping or whatever, they were already plotting how to screw the rest of us, trump included, this ain't no time to be PC, fuck them, they do what they want while those of us who are screwed try to make up excuses. Haven't we learnt anything? Death is a natural part of the cycle of life, while we do celebrate her life and her amazing contributions, lets not be stupid and take it up the wazoo, she would have been the first one to fight dammit!

@Mofo1953 Whatever. I think that you are being hasty but I don't have to hangout here and watch you disrespect the people who are grieving right now.

@MyTVC15 you're right, you don't have to. Celebrating life is no disrespect, get over yourself.

@Mofo1953 I said I am done so don't send another notification. You are a bit of a brute.

@MyTVC15 so you're done. Do not tell me what to do. I do not send notifications dummy, I just comment. If telling the simple truth in your mind equals brute, then definitely guilty as charged.

@Mofo1953 I think that a man who puts down a woman because she has an opinion is a brute and once again I do not want to here from you again.

@MyTVC15 i have not put you down. I have a different opinion that you do not like, on a post that you did not write. I have as much right to express my opinion as you do, and if you do not want to hear me, don't look at my comments. I will continue commenting because this site is precisely to share opinions, you are not the owner of this site nor the queen of this group, not even a moderator, so I really could not care less about what you want. Who made you this site's princess? Nobody, that's who.

Trump may well try and nominate a Justice in the last 6 weeks prior to the election, but it would be the height of hypocrisy for the Republicans in the Senate, particularly Mitch McConnell, who spent years blocking President Obama's nominees, to hold hearings and seat a Trump nominee now. After the election, should Trump lose, which current polls give every indication will be the case, it would be an even more hypocritical move.

Then again, McConnell is no stranger to hypocrisy.

That leaves it for a solid Democrat minority to block the nomination, which I have no doubt they can do, by filibuster if necessary. But a filibuster might not be needed if only 3 decent Republicans step up to the plate and say, "It's morally wrong to seat the nominee of a lame-duck President whose only duty now is handing over the reins of government to his successor. It's morally repugnant to allow an outgoing President to put his stamp on the next umpteen years of the Court, when the American people have clearly expressed their will at the polls and rejected his vision for our nation."

This is an idealist view, but I do believe that there are a few idealists left, even in Washington DC. Mitt Romney's vote at the impeachment trial confirmed it for me. There are Republicans who will stand for principal.

Harry Reid changed the senate rules to where judicial nominees filibusters can be stopped with 51 votes,we are screwed.

@Lorajay Again, as I say, we only need 3.

@Paul4747 This is what they have been working towards for decades. Redrawing districts, winning seats, and packing courts. Also, Trump is far from lame duck at this point. So no part of me thinks the Republicans will have much trouble getting this last (next?) pick confirmed.

She may very well so. But it’s enshrined in the constitution. She cannot change that. And personally I cannot understand all the hysteria regarding “Roe Vs Wade”

The US Supreme Court has had the same makeup.........5 to 4 Conservative / Liberal for over 50 years. If they really were going to overturn it, wouldn’t they have done so already?

All the overturn would do is just put the issue right back to the states to decide to enact pro abortion or anti abortion laws. Even before Roe, Abortion was legal in states like New York and California, and NY recently enshrined protections for abortion rights into state law.

I'm really not that worried about choice. The republicans are too smart to let that go away because if they did what would they run on?

@Lorajay Keeping it overturned...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:535646
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.