Agnostic.com

9 18

Needed a distraction from the awful news. Got creative.

My anxiety has skyrocketed due to the 2020 election, COVID- pandemic, hazardous wildfire smoke, and police brutality and injustice against black people.

To make matters worse, anti-abortion Republicans are thrilled to ram through Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's replacement before the election. Rolling back over 20 years of American progress.

To distract myself, today I designed a Christmas stocking for Claire's boyfriend, Shane. He never had a homemade stocking. I have a long history of making Christmas stockings.

Shane's name will be embroidered in red on a white felt cuff. The body of the Christmas stocking will be red felt. Trees, the snowflake and sleigh will be cut from colorful felt.

So the trees aren't floating in space, rolling brown earth at the bottom will anchor the trees. Black sleigh runners will make a nice contrast. As a final touch, French knot snowflakes will unify the elements. It will be snowing on the background, sleigh and forest. What do you think?

When Claire was a baby, I made her this Christmas stocking. Years later, my heart sank at embroidering the name of her dog Cocoa. Curves are hard. Rummaged in my sewing box (I save everything), and found a leather boot-lace. It took ten minutes to cut out the letters and glue them on.

"They look like Cocoa's rawhide chews," Claire's artist dad said. Embroidering Cocoa at one year old was fun. I used every color of gold. A cotton ball for his tail.

This will keep me busy. First up: embroidering the "S."

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We're not going to let these things happen, regardless of what it takes, we trained the Republicans to think they can lie too and cheat us, now we have to train them in a concept called consequences.

Love the dog. You should make Stockings for Biden and donate the profit to Act Blue. I would buy one.

@UrsiMajor

Thank you, dear!

I made Cocoa's tongue longer to show his goofy personality. He was a silly, affectionate softie weighing 90 pounds. Scared of little dogs. Cocoa was half Golden Retriever and half Husky.

To get out of embroidering his legs and feet, I stuck him behind a green hedge. "Enough, already," I thought after capturing his personality.

"With art, it's important to know when to stop," my artist ex-husband said. Wise words.

Nice work! What can you NOT do?

@BudFrank

I have a lousy sense of direction. It's genetic.

When she was eight, Claire became my navigator during car trips. With a photographic memory, she has a great sense of direction.

@LiterateHiker at least there are electronic aids to your shortcomings

Sometimes it's best just to avoid any news of which we have no control to remedy. Besides the virus we also have the depression bug to deal with. I avoid anything that will be upsetting. Sometimes curiosity can kill the cat (us). Good you have something good to distract from all the misery out there.

You’re obviously a very talented needlewoman...they are beautiful!

I’m saddened at the death of such a great woman...the Republicans will try to replace her with someone who will tilt the balance away from what she stood for and against the reproductive rights of women. They have no shame or moral backbone whatsoever...but it does highlight the flaws in the US Justice system where judges are political appointees. Justice is not served well by that system.

Your eyes very creative it looks very nice I wish you well with the S, I'm still rebuilding a house, the gamma ray burst sounds like it might help too. It's not like the planet hasn't survived it before. 😁😉

I distract myself from the apocalypse by listening to science and astronomy podcasts. Considering the presence of phosphene on Venus, or the discovery of ferromagnetic graphene. Maybe trump will be vaporized by a gamma-ray burst from space.

Today I've been scrolling through TicToc pages. Most entries are from young people, and many show love or hate for Trump, for example, 86 45. I didn't count, but among the hundreds of pages visited, many more were against the Orange Ogre than otherwise, perhaps 4:1. It seems that millennials will be voting, and will surprise pollsters, who typically ignore them.

what a beautiful and fun legacy !!

@AmmaRE007

Thank you, dear. Claire loves it.

Shane never had a homemade Christmas stocking before.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:535835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.