Agnostic.com

9 3

What would you never forgive?

Jolanta 9 Sep 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm a pretty forgiving person, if the person apologizes for the deed, or is dead. But if a person knowingly hurt me, and I confront them about it, and they choose not accept that what they did was hurtful, then I don't need them in my life.

And you don't need to forgive them either.

The betrayal perpetrated by a close relative who when trusted with the care of your child, abuses that trust in all senses of the word and in doing so ruins and destroys multiple lives and families.
That I would and could never forgive nor forget.

Abuse of children!!

You can forgive almost any crime, such as rude behavior, greed etc. even if they are ongoing. But dishonesty can only be forgiven when the dishonest reform, because not expecting reform from the dishonest is doing them a disservice. By not asking them to start self improvement. While the other crimes you can forgive failing to improve, because with them failing can be weakness, continued dishonesty is not trying.

That is impossible to know until it has happened and significant time has passed.

MsAl Level 8 Sep 21, 2020

@Green_Soldier71 revenge is pointless even when justice is denied.

Cheating

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 21, 2020

@Green_Soldier71 Showing you can't trust them

I can think of many instances where that is not the worst thing to do to someone. There are a very large number of people by percentage who have done this. are you saying that every person who has cheated (in love because if you expand the definition it would include every person) is irredeemable? I think it seems unnecessarily harsh.

@MsAl No not all

I suppose I could forgive pretty much anything except a lack of remorse.

I agree that forgiveness must be earnt and begged for.

I like that.
" How can you punish those, whose remorse is already greater than their misdeeds." Kahlil Gibran.

@Green_Soldier71 I suppose it depends on exactly what one means by "forgive." For me, forgiveness includes letting someone back into my life — but I could never feel safe enough to do that with someone who showed no remorse for whatever harm they had inflicted upon me or someone close to me.

@Cyklone I wouldn't necessarily require begging, but I would expect some form of genuine apology. Depending on the offense, that might include some form of restitution.

@Green_Soldier71 this is a good question, because it asks us what forgiveness actually is.

Is forgiveness a restoration of a relationship? Or is forgiveness an act of ceasing to hold resentment? The former is external; the latter internal.

And there are various combinations available, too! I might seek to restore a relationship with a sibling who wronged me, but I might always be wary. I might completely sever a relationship with a friend who wronged me, but not feel particularly resentful a few years later.

@resserts I meant begging in that context, genuinely remorseful, asking for forgiveness and helping me feel confident that it wouldn't recur.

Some things are unforgivable. In some cases, they are also unspeakable.

Betrayal.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:536157
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.