Agnostic.com

11 11

Recovering perfectionist. Weaving in imperfection.

So. I'm making a Christmas stocking for Claire's boyfriend Shane. He has never had a homemade stocking. This is how far I got today. Cut out seven trees (only need five) and the dreaded snowflake.

With the snowflake, I did exacting cuts with new, razor-sharp, small haircutting scissors. Paid attention the angle of the blades. It took an hour. Whew!

That's paper at the top of Shane's stocking, a pattern for cutting out the white felt cuff. Will embroider Shane's name in red on a bigger piece and cut it down to fit.

Weaving in imperfection

If you look closely, I accidentally cut an inner piece of the snowflake too short. Love the Navajo rug-making tradition of weaving an imperfection into a rug, to let the spirit of the rug get out.

Artistic Help

Claire's dad is an artist. Yesterday I gave Claire an update:

"Your dad suggested a light blue mountain behind the trees on Shane's stocking. He agreed to draw it for me. It is becoming a family effort. Terry loved the trees. He called them 'organic.' High praise."

"Oh wow!!! How great! Makes my day!" Claire replied.

Will let The Artist arrange the trees. As if I don't have enough to do, I texted Claire:

"I have always felt bad about how small your 2nd Christmas stocking is. Would you like me to make a new white cuff on Rosie's stocking and embroider your name on it? It's bigger and has a gusset to fit more gifts. I think I did a great job of picturing you at age seven. Have always loved this stocking because you're on it."

"Sure Mom!!! I would love that!! Ahhh I love that stocking so much! You're so thoughtful!"

At age seven, Claire got Rosie as a kitten. Terry's older cat Diamond picked on Rosie. When Rosie got bigger, she beat up Diamond. Rosie was banned. Found a new owner.

Now I get to embroider two names. Slaps forehead

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had a weird reaction to this story. I lived for a year on the navajo reservation. I actually know how to make a navajo rug. I haven't in years and I would never say that I'm good at it but I can make my own loom and set it up. I think it's great that you're doing this!

I’m not a perfectionist....I don’t beat myself up about being a bit of a “Slack Alice” when it comes to housework!

Those are just wonderful. I assumed you are knitting them ( my method) until i read about the cutting out part. Wonderful work!

@Spinliesel

Thank you.

I don't think anyone is ever perfect. Recently I learned that deep down I want to be a perfectionist but let's change that and just say I like to get things right. This is why I stopped making things up (religion) and I get along soooo much better without it.

A couple of points:

• I learned, perhaps like you, to pursue excellence rather than perfection. "Compete" with yourself, not the expectations of others.

-One person's imperfection is another's beauty. I think it requires a higher-order level of thinking to appreciate beauty in the imperfect.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Food for thought.

Snowflakes (LOL as if I'm an expert, IIRC it snowed here in the mid 80s) are never perfect. It may have been more imperfect to make a perfectly symmetrical rendition for the stocking.👹😂

I'm trying to help my coworker overcome her OCD (she says that's what she has, anyway, but I suspect it's perfectionism) by convincing her that it's okay to have items sitting out on the desk that everyone uses, because, Hey, I was the one using that! Constantly cleaning up and rearranging things in a common area is bound to upset others because it disrupts their own tasks. I can see her grit her teeth when she makes herself leave the clipboard where I put it, as I go over to do something else and then come back to it. Or suppress the urge to discard my coffee cup.

@Paul4747

Obsessive-compulsive disorder is different from the tendency to be a perfectionist.

If you look closely, I accidentally cut one inner piece of the snowflake too short. I love the Navajo rug maker tradition of weaving an imperfection into a rug, to let the spirit of the rug get out.

That helps me let go of perfectionism. I let it go.

@LiterateHiker I realize. I think she's a severe perfectionist about her work area, or else it's a mild enough compulsive problem that she can work in a prison. I know she's a perfectionist about the paperwork.

@Paul4747 Persian rug weavers also put one mistake into the pattern as not to insult the deities with a perfect piece. The deities must be tender snowflakes to be insulted by perfection from humans.

Practice makes perfect, but I never practiced so I never achieved as a perfectionist.
I was also too lazy to work and too scared to steal so I became a computer programmer.

Yes I’d say you’re too much of a perfectionist and take on ideas that aren’t your responsibility. You are possibly more loved for that, and your incredible talents in many areas

Nope the opposite

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 23, 2020

Me too!

You sure do like challenging projects. I have challenging projects too, but nothing worthy of exhibition. If one if them turns out I'll post it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:537083
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.