Agnostic.com

7 1

POLL Appeal to Faith | Ram - New Delhi, India | Atheist Experience 21.29 - YouTube

I think this is the conversation i think of most of the time since it happened.

The only issue is this is that even though
the methodology measures performence real well, it doesn't not measure potential that well.

Now I am atheisitic to a whole lot degree, but I feel hopeless about the world and life more than before.

Best way to tackle hopelessness in life as an atheist

• 6 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 8 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 3 votes
BikramK 4 Sep 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What specifically do you feel hopeless about "the world and life"? Is it that you feel hopeless about how corrupt and evil it appears to be? That you seem to be essentially incapable of making a difference in it? Or that you feel insignificant in the vastness of the universe and that life - your life in particular - is terminal? Yes, there are aspects of our world and of our lives we have no control over, and it sucks that we can't feel secure all the time about every aspect of life.

But let me ask you this: is your glass half full or half empty? The truth of the matter is that both are equally true. Sometimes we are immersed in the part that is half full and everything is wonderful. We may even feel that our "cup runneth over" during this time in the full part of our glass. Then there are those times that drive us into the half empty part. An economic downturn causes the loss of our employment. We discover a trusted friend or love one has betrayed us. We read about crimes comitted against others or become a victim of a crime ourselves. The whole world may feel against us or that we can never feel safe and secure again.

So, how do we make sense of this. Stephen R Covey discusses in his writings what he describes as circles of influence and circles of concern. The circle of influence is smaller and closer to home and includes those parts of our lives we can have some influence over. The circle of concern is larger and includes things we feel concern over but these are things we don't have influence over - or perhaps very little influence over. If I remember Covey's comments correctly, he claimed that those who concentrate more on their circle of influence tend to feel more hopeful and those who concentrate more on their circle of concern tend to feel more hopeless becsuse they tend to feel a greater degree of being out of control of their lives. It's been a very long time since I read any of Covey's writtings; what I recall is that he suggested that when we concentrate on our circle of influence we tend to expand this circle, and when we concentrate on our circle of concern, we tend to shrink our circle of influence. I won't comment on this claim beyond this. What I will say is that we have a big "glass" of our lives which is never filled completely to the brim - perhaps not even close. We can accept that this is the case, enjoy when we are in those parts that are full and trust that our glass is not completely empty when we find ourselves in those empty parts.

Now, how to fit this response into your poll, I dunno.

Best way to tackle hopelessness in life as an atheist...

...is to use the same kind of thinking that brought you to atheism and let it carry you beyond atheism. Atheism represents progress over theism, but it is not the highest progress. The next step is to get beyond literalism altogether. Atheism is as much a literalist position as theism is.

skado Level 9 Sep 28, 2020

Faith is subjective, coming from the mind. Faith is for the weak minded.

If you feel hopeless, my suggestion is stop conversing and start doing.

Caller from India points out his definition of Faith is like a Placebo effect. Taking a sugar pill that has no medical reason to cure someone but the person mysteriously gets better.

Next thing you know people will say that God works in mysterious ways. Why spend anything on healing anyone when a placebo effect of faith will do the job?

Word Level 8 Sep 28, 2020

Some religious points of view should technically also breed hopelessness...

"I have no use for faith" Any "evidence" of faith is the placebo affect. The fact that you can get a positive thing from something, doesn't make that thing positive.

The use of the placebo effect in this arena is also kind of a misnomer because you cannot choose to believe in the thing that would be the reason for the false positive. It's very different from something like a sugar pill representing a Tylenol (as opposed to a sugar pill that represents a pill that causes you to be able to fly).

@JeffMurray Some religious fanatic prays for something. That comes true. Placebo. They pray that something bad doesn't happen, coincidentally it doesn't. Placebo. Prayers are useless. There is no pill to make you fly, that's an impossible hypothetical. Fairy tale. No matter who jumps off the ledge, they're dead

@barjoe Precisely my point. Placebo only works when the person believes it can possibly work. Considering you cannot choose to believe in god, it can only provide a placebo effect if you happen to believe. So yes, to believers you can say there could be a placebo effect, but it's not really the same.

@JeffMurray you make some false assumptions.

@barjoe What do you think is false?

@JeffMurray "you cannot choose to believe in god" false.

@barjoe So you're telling me you can choose to actually believe (not just profess to believe) in a god, say Poseidon, right now? You can will yourself to stop believing that the tides are caused by the sun and moon, but instead by the god Poseidon??

@JeffMurray I don't try to influence others but I'll make my position clear. I don't believe in any deity. I'm an Antitheist. I think religion is not just wrong, it's evil and harmful. People choose to believe in fairy tales, they could choose fact based. Don't try to twist my words. I just told you. I hate religion okay. People who like science fiction are fine. If they believe it, they're stupid.

@barjoe You said people can choose to believe in god. If that's true, and I am wrong like you stated, you should be able to prove me wrong by choosing to believe in god, and, consequently, stop believing that which is invalidated by your new religious belief.

@JeffMurray I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I know what I know. There exists nothing paranormal, no God, no afterlife. Fade to black. People can't handle that truth, they choose to believe in fairy tales. It helps them to cope with their ignorance and fear. I don't care what you believe and I don't care if you care what I believe. I hate religion but I don't hate people who are religious. I pity them.

@barjoe
So you're not interested in proving me wrong, just claiming I'm wrong?
But seriously, how does knowing what you know not also let you know I'm right? You are so sure that nothing paranormal exists that it would be impossible to choose to believe it does. The same is true for other people, believers and otherwise. They have no control over it just like you don't either. I know I couldn't choose to start believing in god. I don't know if you were ever a believer, but try to put yourself in their shoes. They are just as sure their god exists as you are it doesn't. There's no choice in the matter. They were told, probably at a young age, that he exists and they proposition was deemed true by their brain. For whatever reason, they don't have that thing inside them like I do that makes them question or doubt. Over the years people have probably said to them that god doesn't exist, and they rejected that proposition as quickly and easily as you did at the thought of a pill that can allow you to fly. Did you think about that and choose not to believe it? No, you immediately rejected it as nonsense. The thought of god not existing is the same for them, complete nonsense, they don't even have to think about it because they KNOW, just like you know what you know, that he does.

@JeffMurray I don't care what other people think. There's a lot of stupid ones out there. That's why people go to Gypsy palm readers. They're very naive to be nice about it. Anyone who believes in astrology, psychics, ghosts, goblins, fairies or God is wrong. We got her here by random and we're privileged to be here. When the oxygen leaves the brain...fade to black. People can't handle that so they made up a silly story about God, heaven and hell. That's how I feel. I don't know why people care what I think. SMH

@barjoe I don't care what you think, I care about being called wrong by someone who can't prove me wrong, or more accurately, by someone who should have the capacity to see I'm right. The people we're taking about didn't make up the god. They were told it was true and they believed it. What we're taking about is consciously choosing to believe something one knows isn't true. A mere 10 seconds of self-reflection should be all it takes to recognize that's impossible.

@JeffMurray I can't prove anything to your satisfaction. I don't care if you're satisfied. They blindly believe in Santa Claus because mommy and daddy told then it was true. I choose to ridicule them for that. Stop picking up for the religious community. I for one don't like them. I have no empathy for them at all. I don't choose to look at their point of view. If that upsets you, I don't care about that either. You're an Atheist! What are you arguing with me for anyway?

@barjoe
I'm arguing with you because you said I was wrong. And I'm not defending religious people, I'm simply stating that it's not a choice. Hell, you just admitted it in your last comment. You said they believe because their parents told them. Why are you still arguing when you know I'm right?

@JeffMurray You're full of crap. You're stubborn as hell and are dead wrong. It's not worth arguing about. Have a nice day.

Is there anyone else here willing to weigh in? Can people just choose to believe in a god?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:538436
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.