Agnostic.com

4 6

LINK What secularists can learn from the religious right about accessing power.

Secularists need to be more comfortable with pushing a moral agenda.

HippieChick58 9 Oct 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Community is a powerful motivator. Just getting involved with other people in an advocacy group can be much more sustaining than acting alone (voting, sending a donation, writing an op ed). An online community like this one or Facebook can be helpful, but I don't think it comes close to gathering in-person with like-minded associates.

Rallies are more transient but can be highly energizing too. I attended the March For Women's Lives in Washington D.C. in April 2004. While over 1,400 co-sponsoring organizations -- and representatives from 57 nations -- participated in the march, seven groups organized it [an example of diverse groups allying on a specific common issue]. Over one million people marched. It inspired me to get involved for years afterwards.

The Women's Marches in January 2016 also helped to crystalize and launch ongoing activism.

I agree the community that is created by a religious organization is one of the main reasons they exist.
I have belonged to several different organizations that were quite successful in getting ideas that I considered moral and right put into legislation. I support black lives matter, several feminist organizations, the ACLU and many others who all stand up for things I believe in.Sometimes I feel like there are too many organizations or tribes within the secular community because I can't support all of them and just want one big umbrella. A problem with the Democratic Party is all of the different tribes within it. In other words, does anyone have any suggestions for an umbrella organization that could bring us all together?

I could not agree more! We the people have the power but only if we speak with one voice. Each one of these splinter groups has to give a little to merge with each other. The LGBTQ org. is a prime example and looks like BLM is on its way. Agnostics United .org 🚗 just got started and has FFRF and Black Non-believers in Atlanta among others as members that may be what is needed.

@Paganlyl Each organization has its own power structure and employees. America may not manufacture many material things anymore but we seem to manufacture a new org daily.

@Lorajay I apologize for the error "agnostics united" I was thinking of "Secular Coalition for America". I should be in bed at 2 am instead

'agnostics

Splinter groups do join with each other on an issue by issue basis. As long as they recognize the power of doing so, I'm not sure there is any need for any new umbrella organization.

[lawrightsreligion.law.columbia.edu]. I posted this a few minutes ago, it's from Columbia Law.

MizJ Level 8 Oct 7, 2020

Your link is not working. Are you able to fix it?

Page not found

@HippieChick58 @Flowerwall US law and religious freedom Try this link please

Morality's a concept that's defined
According to the mores of where we grew
And thus by place of birth we are confined
In gauging what is right or wrong to do.

Nature versus nurture. Even small children have some innate morality.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:541329
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.