Agnostic.com

14 0

What are some of your favorite childhood memories?

Trout fishing in the springtime, building treehouses, and playing outdoors with my siblings.

ebdb 7 Apr 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was four years old. My mother would park us one at a time on the kitchen counter and give us a quick morning bath at the kitchen sink. Then we were dressed and sent outside to play. It was 1955. I would lay in the soft green grass. The mid morning sun was warming. I had cordoroy bib overalls on that my mom made by hand. The sky was the most amazing deep blue with the purest white clouds drifting by.

All of the world travels as a kid.

Sunday afternoons on Nora's living room couch breathing heavily and trying to wear out each others' lips. (@14)

Riding my Haitian mustang stallion, Lightning, without saddle or bridle, roping half grown wild boars in the mission corn. Great fun!
I had to drop the loop to pass over their front legs, since they didn't really have necks.

Playing outside. Hopscotch. Tag. Shadow. Hide and seek. Playing in the leaves. Climbing trees. Making mud pies. Jacks.

Iffy Level 5 Apr 9, 2018

Playing outside on summer nights. Going to ball games and auto races at night. Going to the mountains to one of lakes and swimming at night. Maybe one of the reasons l became a musician is my love of the night.

I'd say traveling across country with my family when my dad retired from the Army in 1976. We borrowed my uncle's motorhome (now known as RVs don'tchaknow). It was considered the "Cadillac of motorhomes" at the time, a 35' Vogue. My uncle was in the auto parts retail business (he owned a store and at one time had owned a chain of around 10). I remember he had this cool and pioneering "tech" for the time on this rig. It was a set of hydraulic levelers. You would adjust the leveling struts (one at each wheel) until all 4 lights were out. I loved playing with that damned thing. Loved riding shotgun too! It was a 4-week cross-country vacation. We stayed at all manner of campgrounds (as long as they had full hookups). I remember my sibs and I whining that the places we stayed HAD to have pools, and we wanted to go horseback riding. One of the places we stayed was Jellystone Park (yes, the one with Yogi and Boo Boo). They are a big chain now. Anyway, this was a pretty special time in my life with my family. Despite being born overseas myself (as a military brat) and doing a fair amount of traveling as a military dependent, this was the biggest and longest "vacation" we had ever been on.

Catching fireflies outside of my grandfather's house with my cousin.

Growing up.

Playing in my gravel pit, going to country store, buying penny candy and setting table up as a store for friends on street. Also putting on shows-singing and dancing, swimming with friends in pool. Climbing trees and the big boulders across the street. All between 5 and 8.

I also remember riding my bike with my brothers to the country store 3 miles away. They had penny candy and a penny gumball machine. I got a lucky gumball and traded it in for a big candy bar. Also going to a public pool 2 miles away and swimming almost everyday in the summer.

Working in the peat bogs stacking peat for a whole day. Earning enough money to buy the yellow bikini at the shop in the city. Upsetting the whole village by wearing a bikini to the beach.

Going to the library and the park with my Dad. Doing anything with my Dad. He was 6'5" and larger than life, a beautiful soul. I get my love of learning new things from him. When I was six, my mother cheated on him and that was the end of their marriage and my good childhood memories. I don't have siblings, which sucks.

Lani Level 5 Apr 9, 2018

Sorry that your good memories ended at six.

@ebdb It's okay. I was able to make good ones with my own children.

Running the neighborhood, and not worrying about who was gonna snatch us up. Riding our horses in the riverbed, all kinds of animals, playing cowboys, exploring, playing baseball, and just hanging out with my friends. Ever hear the song Bob Dylan's Dream? Pretty well sums it up.

@kenriley that's probably his one song that really strikes a chord with me. Makes me cry everytime.

playing kick the can till dark

LOL

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54188
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.