Agnostic.com

1 1

Yelp Says It Will Mark Pages of Businesses Accused of Racist Conduct

The online review company said that it would raise flags when there was “resounding evidence” and that it would link to articles detailing racist reports.

[nytimes.com]

[usatoday.com]

FearlessFly 9 Oct 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So if you have a dispute with a business, you could accuse them of being racist and destroy their business. People lie on Yelp. I know for a fact people who can't get a reservation at a restaurant so that give them a bad review even tho they've eaten there. Someone didn't let you make a fraudulent return at their store so you Yelp that they're racist. Your friend has a business so you give a glowing review, meanwhile someone takes credence to that and get ripped off by your "friend". Yelp is bullshit.

. . . not defending Yelp, but that would not be "resounding evidence". 😛

@FearlessFly So they get a few friends to pile on and say that a business is "racist" because some employee got their friend or relative mad. Yelp calls that "resounding evidence". They all say the place is "racist" give them a low rating and harm their business or get some innocent person fired. This happens. I'd say most negative Yelps are false.

@barjoe "a few friends to pile on" -- doesn't sound like FRIENDS to me.

Sounds like your 'evidence' is no better than Yelp. 😛

@FearlessFly I know people who've been fired because of negative Yelp. I'm not making out a dossier here that I need evidence. Yelp sucks. It misinforms users and hurts businesses. A little bit of info that I have evidence for: Yelp removes negative reviews, for monetary fees Yelp is bullshit.

@barjoe . . . anecdote is not data 😛

@FearlessFly My comment is opinion based. What is this a science project? You disagree? Fine. Rely on Yelp. One question. Are you ever subject to Yelp reviews in your job?

@barjoe This is a website for AGNOSTICS.
Anyone can give opinions.
I'm not defending Yelp, never even visited the website.

IMO, businesses have a renown history (and vested interest) of false information.

I have not made ANY claim(s) about Yelp.
The burden is on the one (you) making the claim(s).

@FearlessFly I don't have a burden of proof. We're not in criminal court. I gave my take on Yelp. It's a nasty service. I think that. I don't have to prove it. I give Yelp a negative review. "Anyone can give opinions." I just did.

@barjoe "People lie on Yelp"
"I know for a fact people who can't get a reservation"
"They all say the place is "racist" "
"This happens"
"It misinforms users and hurts businesses"
"Yelp removes negative reviews, for monetary fees"

"My comment is opinion based"

IMO, it would be useful to consistently self-label OPINIONS as opinion to distinguish them from statements that sound like fact(s) (without evidence).

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:542043
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.