Agnostic.com

5 6

“Basically, more unequal societies have worse quality of life. Across countries and among U.S. states, more inequality, independent of absolute levels of income, predicts higher rates of crime, including homicide, and higher incarceration rates.”

[scientificamerican.com]inequality-inflicts-real-biological-harm/

skado 9 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

An excellent article. Thank you for posting it. Further evidence in support of UBI, universal access to health care and a more progressive tax system.

A well stated, accurate premise.

I think many are not really going to absorb the very open lines of this article. It's a simple concept but I can just hear my twin - our ancestors never owned slaves why should my tax dollars go to black people who did not work for it. OR the rich worked for their riches why should they be taxed to death. Forgetting or some how justifying that the rich are NOT taxed to death.
I have not gotten through the whole article - yet - I will say this mirrors the studies on Black American mothers and their babies - higher mortality rates for both are attributed to the daily stress of racism and fear they are subjected to on top of some in the medical community that believe Black People do not feel pain like whites.It's just so sad.

Yes, remember that every time someone talks about economics and mentions 'growth'. Of what use is growth, if all of it is absorbed by the few who already have more than they can actually use ?

I knew the U.S. had a high level of SES inequality and adverse health outcomes, yet it is helpful to see the comparison with other countries, especially the ones with SES equality and good health outcomes. They are the countries I expect would have good health outcomes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:542751
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.