Agnostic.com

1 0

I just finished reading Zucked! Waking Up to the Facebook Catastrophe, by Roger McNamee, who was a mentor for Zuckerberg early in his career, and an enthusiastic fan of Facebook until he realized how toxic the Facebook culture is, by trying to confront Zuck with the real harms that Facebook is perpetuating. Within Facebook, all criticism is deflected, and their business model puts profit, and rampant growth, ahead of every other social value, including democracy, civility, privacy and public health. It is chilling. Facebook sells megadata on its users to any unsavoury buyer that can pay for it, and takes NO responsibility for the uses to which that data is put. Both citizens and governments are ignorant of how bad the situation has gotten. Users sacrifice so much for a little convenience, and their weaknesses and foibles are blatantly exploited, mostly by Artificial Intelligence with minimal human oversight. The few folks I have mentioned this to IRL don’t even seem to care. It’s so scary! The author doesn’t even mention the trans juggernaut once, but it is so easy to fill in the blanks, when he talking about targeting children, fomenting unrest and developing “filter bubbles.” To me, it goes a long way toward explaining the breakdown in communication between myself and my 23-year-old. Also sheds a lot of insight on “where all these girls who want to transition” are coming from.

sunhatpat 6 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been boycotting Facebook for like five years now.
I strongly encourage everyone to do the same.

What did you mean by the trans juggernaut?
Please explain, I'm confused as to whether I should be pissed off or not.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:543093
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.