Agnostic.com

35 7

I have a friend that constantly says. "I am a Catholic. We are not Christians. We are Pagans. I know some opponents of Catholicism say they are pagans, but does it make any sense for a person to proudly proclaim being Catholic, non Christian and Pagan?

Stoic247 5 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If someone says that they are catholic AND pagan, they are not catholic.

This is why the first Amendment exists. Believe whatever BS you want to believe. And change your mind about it as much as you want to. You won't get much respect, but you get to explore and modify your belief at will.

If you are catholic you obey and trust the Pope, the Pope is never wrong. So... if the pope says you are a blue toad with golden horn, then it is this what you believe.
The pope says catholics are Christians, so if you are catholic, you believe you are Christian, if you don't do so you are not catholic or you are doing some heresy that should get you excomulgated (and isolated from community, possibly stripped of your rights, properties and probably life).

Pagan originally meant 'villager' from 'pagani' someone who lives in the villages, and it was a snob word used with a sneer. Perhaps they mean they are peasants, living in a village. LOL

Yes, it does make sense when one realises that, in the West, being Catholic for a great many people is a cultural statement, not a religious statement. They may even enjoy the theatre of the mass etc, but they don't believe any of the tenets of Catholicism.
I know personally some Catholic guys who love to sleep around, smoke weed, swear, etc, couldn't care less about 'sin', don't believe in Jesus as Lord, but say they are Catholic.

I know people that are Catholic so that their kids can go to a good school, they married in a particular church for thst reason. Looks crazy from the outside.

That friend is bloody weird. None of my catholic friends or family members or schools classified us as pagans. She is not a pagan because she is catholic. She is a pagan in addition to being catholic. And yes catholics are a type of christian, whether she admits it to herself or not. Just more of her delusions it seems.

"Types of Christianity
Christianity is broadly split into three branches: Catholic, Protestant and (Eastern) Orthodox.

The Catholic branch is governed by the Pope and Catholic bishops around the world. The Orthodox (or Eastern Orthodox) is split into independent units each governed by a Holy Synod; there is no central governing structure akin to the Pope."

[history.com].

Interesting, so in that way Pagan can be like Buddist; a way of life rather than a religion?

do pagans believe in gods/godesses? Because is that not the literal definition of religion? someone with a belief in a god or gods?

I do have to say that I think it is most of this was an "I would say anything not to lose an argument" type situation. However, I just wanted to see if I was the only person who thinks that Catholics consider themselves Christian. I know this guy, and when I asked him what makes you a pagan. He said because I worship many gods. My response was I know you, what gods do you worship. His response you know my love for animals. I "revere" them. While would I say I respect his knowledge and interest in animals even to the point of him having owned a few dogs and currently owns reptiles and roaches, Revere is a stretch, at the most, he is an animal enthusiast. Also, I "revere" the fact that the moon controls the tides in the ocean. I revere animals and the moon so I am a pagan. My ancestors are Spaniards and they are Catholic, and growing up Catholic, I know they are pagans.

I just want to say I enjoy him as a friend. I simply like to know when I am wrong, so I reached out here in order to not to be misguided in the future.

I was forced by my parents to attend a Baptist church up to the age of 18. I might be able to shed some light on something that may (or may not) be clouding the issue of Catholics not being Christians. It is in the Baptist dogma that in order to be a "Christian" one has to be "born again"...to go through an epiphany wherein one accepts the load Jesus Christ as one's personal savior. Catholics on the other hand, do not seem to have that process in their dogma...just have to attend to the rituals as mandated by the catholic church. The Baptists believe that unless one has that particular event in one's life, they are not "Christians" and will not go to heaven despite good works, attendance, observing any ritual.

Doesn't make sense.

Paganism and Catholicism are not Christianity. Christianity grew out of Catholicism, and Paganism, but took root after the printing press made Bible reading accessable to masses. It was no longer the realm of exalted Priests who told us what to make of scripture as we could read and follow the teachings of Jesus without them. Paganism had long since died so wasn't even a thing. Then, with Pope John Paul I, Catholicism reared its ugly head again and Paganism became a subject to counter the resurrection of Catholic Priests. I think we are living in the apex of that effort but Christians treat both as a cult. Southern Baptists, and their sister religion of Evangelicalism, is an Old Testament response to both. Because it is not based on Jesus, but the Old Testament God, it is also a non-CHRISTian cult. This is why I think we can only bring them back to Jesus but not pull them away from religious expression. Jesus was a more "liberal" guy (his teachings were Taoist) so if we can do that they may become more liberal over time.

Yes, catholic would be Romanized after what was started to be called "the way" in the book of Acts of biblical text.

There is a lot a pagan stuff merged into what is now called christianity.

Wheither catholic or Christian it is still merged with paganism stuff.

Word Level 8 Oct 13, 2020

@K9Kohle789 I do not claim to be an expert is all these stories that have simularity. It would appear for what ever reason they do in fact have similar things. In one way it maybe like comparing different fast food hamburger joints. They all have hamburgers just made something different.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:543190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.