Agnostic.com

5 5

It’s interesting how you can react to the same thing differently at different stages in your life. I was listening to Yom Kippur services a few weeks ago and my reaction was very different from previous times. I heard a lot of 'God is great, God is merciful, God is all knowing, God is all powerful, etc. it occurred to me that this was not about God; it was about the worshipers. If God is perfect in every way then the worshipers are in on the secret. They have a special connection with his perfect God and that makes them special.
Each religion also says that it is the true God and all the others are false gods. So if your God is the true God and if you follow and obey then everything will be perfect, then it’s a small leap to thinking that if you just get rid of all the other people, who worship the false gods, then everything will be perfect. A sure recipe for stoking conflict. From the crusades To anti-Semitism, it’s baked in. And then while you are in the 'we are good, they are bad' mode, it's not a far leap to other tribal feelings of superiority (race, sexual orientation).

augimmun 5 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

This god says nothing about worshiping god as a religion. Religion is about helping widows and orphans while avoiding worldly corruption.

Word Level 8 Oct 15, 2020

Fuck all religions, they all suck!

What happened? You listening to Yom Kippur? Was there nothing good on the television?

I don't own a tele and it turned out to be interesting, as I thought it might.

I think you are onto some very true words here. The problem is that many people do not see it.

Archeologists have identified roughly 4,000 different gods worshiped by humankind at one time or another. Seems to be somebody's gotta be wrong.

How about they are ALL wrong.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:543465
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.