Agnostic.com

69 6

Dating: what's your ideal age range? How important is age?

I just ended a short relationship with someone who was over a decade younger than I. I finally found out that age is more significant than I had expected. I haven't had a lot of relationships but definitely found the need to end this one due to the lack of maturity in my former partner. I'm still reeling a bit from this breakup and would love any input or opinions that people may have with regard to age.

• 17 votes
  • 23 votes
  • 77 votes
Rt66lady 4 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

69 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am 52, on Match.com my 'seeking' age range is 40 to 60. What we have in common is more important to me than mere numbers.

I feel comfortable with a younger partner, the perfect range being 2-6 years younger, yet I am opened to any relationship from legal age up to a few (2-3) years older than me if we turn out to be... how to say it... mind-mates.

I've done both. Dated a decade younger and a decade older. I got along better with the younger, but our end goals never line up. They want more children, and I'm already done. The older guys that I meet are very set in their ways, especially if they've been alone for a while. I'm curious about what it might be like to date someone my own age.

Lani Level 5 Apr 10, 2018

Between the ages 18 and 25 (my current age) guys my age don't interest me. At a younge age I was driving my mom to a from work as well as paying all the bills and grocery shopping for her and my siblings as well. I need someone with maturity and ability to take care of themselves

I try to stay within 10 years and find it difficult to date men more than two years younger or 8 or so years older. It's probably a fault with myself as I relate to a lot of cultural touchstones in my age range so we have little to talk about or relate with if they are a lot younger or a lot older. We can set up a date but once on the date conversation falls flat with a broad age range. I have met a few significantly older men that I would consider based on their personality and how we get along but can't get over the fact that they have a daughter or son that's within 5 years of my age. I just wonder if they would eventually treat me as their child or be weirded out by it as well.

It depends on the individual. There are some very mature young people out there, while others are older, but insecure and immature.

OK I really haven't dated someone since I was married. It's been almost 8 years. I have had casual encounters with one other person, he was 25. That is the youngest. Others have been in their 30s.. Most men I've encountered are pretty mature for their age. But because if past issues, relationships, being hurt, putting up walls. Now a days it make dating harder, because people don't want to commit, they want Casual and that's it. That's where I am with dating.. I have trust issues to boot. Does emotional doormat mean an thing to anyone?

Case by case basis. I've met 25 year olds who act 50, and 50 year olds that act 25.

I’ve always gravitated towards older men. My ex was 9 years older than me. I was only 20 when we met and there were some things that I noticed about the age difference but for the most part I felt like I was more mature than him. Now that I’m 44 I usually prefer 10-15 years older.

I like them to be funny, politically active, and non church going. A pulse is also nice!

BillF Level 7 Apr 10, 2018

I am invested in the notion of age being just a number. If I don't report back, 14 years hasn't been an obstacle.

I have this mental thing about 5 years either way, I hacve dated women outside this, but never been in a relationship with one.

The closer to my own age the happier I am. I find younger guys more attractive, but very hard to date because of the immaturity and older guys are great to talk to, but I'm rarely interested in them sexually. I try to be open minded about it, however the 19 year old hitting on me literally yanked on my hair once like a kid pulling pigtails and it was disgusting high-school. A different time I got to talking to an older guy and he put his arm around me and I though 'Hmm reminds me of hanging out with dad.' High-school and Daddies are fine for kinks, but not what I want to always be thinking about with a future life partner you know?

I agree with the dating younger men thing. I too find many lack maturity. I prefer men my age or a bit older but not old enough to be my daddy.

I prefer people I actually have something in common with. They have the same reference points in culture etc.

No Vote. I do require an "Old Soul".

Someone relatively close to my age, but that really has to include emotional age as well.

Age is just a number. BUT, with that said, I tend to like someone young enough to keep up but old enough to teach me something new.

I've dated men 8, 12, and 15 years older. The only downside is getting side-eye from other women. I'm not sure I'd enjoy being with someone much younger, but age (like any other demographic) is not important to me.

Experiences ... when you have them maturity just seems to go hand in hand. So many I see say that age isn't an issue; I find that hard to believe but que sera sera!
Things in common certainly make it easier to have a personal relationship (see experiences, and add passionate about).
I've met some younger women with old souls that I feel an affinity towards, and some older women that well maturity was not their strong point.
So I suppose the answer for me ... is anyone that can put up with my long windedness!

Age is just a number. But is it? I have dated men older and younger and come to find out, it's really about who that person is and how well they carry that number both emotionally, mentally, and physically. I do tend to get along with men younger because I have more in common with them for some reason. Connection and communication is what makes it or breaks it.

Age really never mattered to me. I find compatability to be the result of chemistry. While I have not got that particular formula right yet, there have been enough experiences to realize that any time I try to meet someone else's (religion, cluture, socitial) relationship ideal things have gone to shit pretty quick.

Though an age range relates to my preference of IQ range; dating for me never has been synonymous with or assumed to include sexual intimacy. Range for dating alone with sex having no role would probably be 30 ish to any age at which the mind is still nimble.

IQ range roughly about 130 and up. I LOVE sharing ideas and perspectives with elder AND smarter women.

Younger! REALLY not feeling it w most age appropriate men.

I have dated anywhere from 5 years younger to 10 years older so it doesn't matter much to me

Just recieving texts from my VSS-O. 16 years younger. But smart, very talented (opera singer, choral conductor, and director) and amazingly brave.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54370
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.