Agnostic.com

69 6

Dating: what's your ideal age range? How important is age?

I just ended a short relationship with someone who was over a decade younger than I. I finally found out that age is more significant than I had expected. I haven't had a lot of relationships but definitely found the need to end this one due to the lack of maturity in my former partner. I'm still reeling a bit from this breakup and would love any input or opinions that people may have with regard to age.

• 17 votes
  • 23 votes
  • 77 votes
Rt66lady 4 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

69 comments (51 - 69)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't care about age much, just so it's over legal age limit. I've dated women both younger and older than me.

Yip, me too. Presdnt gf is 20 years youger than me and we are both happy.

When I was 19 I dated a woman 39. But at 66, a 71 year old would have to be a very special person! I have met some that would qualify! But my normal search area would be 5 to maximum 10 younger.

Like you - my last relationship was with someone significantly younger. I won't make that mistake again. I will date someone closer to my age and preferably older.

I just don't connect fully emotionally with someone who's not close to my age. Shrug

I prefer dating someone up to 7 years younger than me or 7 years older than me. Or someone who falls within that age range. So at the current moment, 23-37. But someone already said what I was going to say, age is just a number (except for illegal ages). While it’s an ok tool to focus into someone’s maturity, I prefer to get to know someone and find out how mature they are.

I don't date, but I have a definiate age range for people I sleep with. No more than 10 years older than me.

To me age is nothing but a number!
too me the important thing is the maturity factor,if there is chemistry and how a person treats you.

First wife was older, second wife was much younger. I prefer the younger.

As a general rule I like men to be at least as old as my kids. My oldest is only 16 years younger and the youngest 18 years younger. My oldest has started to look old enough people mistake him for my brother.

Its actually not exactly the age. It's rather the experiences that come with the age. So, I am open to anybody. But I guess generally it's hard for an aged person to hang out with younger group of people and being silly. But there are exceptions as I said. So, taking each individual differently is probably fair.

I have for the most part dated persons aroud my age give or take 10 years.

I married a woman older than me by a decade. I figured (wrong) that she'd be grounded and know the value of a dollar when this farm boy was just getting started in the business. Boy was I wrong!!! Anyway, I don't know that I have a firm age range. I've always dated older girls (this was when I was younger) because they didn't care for doing all that silly social stuff like Prom and football games, etc. However, I tended to attract the younger ones. I'm kinda like a little kid at heart and I like to be silly and playful but I'm up early and get my work done so maybe I seemed mature to them also?? I have no idea if I really have an age range.

All of my (5) partners were exactly 6 1/2 years younger (all born in 1953 - snakes). 4 didn't work (but there were good times) and the last one was superlative. I am sometimes a bit slow especially with people issues so that age range puts our maturity about par.

I prefer someone to be older than me, but not too much. 5 years older than me is a pretty decent cap. I'd like someone in the same age range so it's more likely we're going through similar things in our life, like for instance I'm a recent college grad so ideally if I were dating someone, he'd know what it's like to be fresh out and frustrated with looking for a job, etc.

I was young when I had my daughter and although I have dated both older and younger, I have felt that a few years plus or minus would be best for me.

But I appear at least 10 years younger and when coupled with my daughter's propensity for dating a bit older, I find myself in an uncomfortable position.

Older. The number varies (3-12 years). I don't do well with younger men.

My ex-wife of 15 yrs is 9 yrs younger than I. There were no problems because of that. Our marriage unfprtunately ended 2 yrs ago when we separated. She moved on and has new boyfriend. I did not. Have no girlfirends, at least not yet. I look younger than I really am therefore it is easier for me to be with younger women. I live in Toronto since 2005 but do not have many friends, both male and female, which is part of why I am a member of this site as there are people that share my own beliefs. It is a goal that I have to get to make more friends of both sexes. I am looking for friends, not sex. At least it is not a priority for me. Started a rock band, with first rehearsal yesterday. That in itself will help me to know more people.

Same to you. I have to be doing something. Being stagnant has never worked for me.

Since I am only interested in friendship (not love, not sex, not relationship), I am open for friends of any age over the legal limit. I can dance with an 18 year old equally as well as with an 80 year old (maybe better). I require the legal limit because one never knows what can happen in a friendship?

If your a match then your a match, it's as simple as that to me. I couldn't vote because all of them are relevant.

I disagree. Mental age is important.

You're ?

well, that's all in with the "if you match" part. some people are very mature/immature for there age.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54370
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.