Agnostic.com

4 3

LINK Netherlands Supports Medically Assisted Dying for Terminally Ill Children | Val Wilde | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

It’s an extremely sad reality and nobody wants to think about it, but it can’t be avoided: Sometimes children get life-threateningly sick. Sometimes they get too sick to recover. And sometimes those illnesses can cause relentless and terrible suffering, sometimes even more than can be alleviated with palliative care.

snytiger6 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This country also has an euthanasia program for adults but only for citizens. Switzerland also has such a program but for everyone who wants it. A couple of years ago an elderly, Australian, Nobel prize winning scientist who had lost many of his physical abilities (but otherwise healthy) flew to Switzerland and took advantage if it. Why do we have so much trouble letting people who are suffering die in a peaceful manner??

I am not a fan of subjecting young children (or pets) to lengthy treatments that cause pain & suffering either by themselves or from drawing things out.
For example, in this area there was a little boy who had been put through 16 (!!!!) surgeries before the age of 2 & they were running fundraisers so he could have more! I found this Horrible, he is not even of an age it can be explained to him (like you cannot explain it to animals). His internal parts were born on his outside, and he had suffered brain damage at the birth.....just WHY?

The pallative care does have some flexibility with the child dying.. and stoping active care... ( which they may need to survive._) Maybe more flexibility is needed here to help with the children enduring so much pain. I went through all of this when my son had brain cancer. Four years we were in and out of hospitals.. LOOKING for treatments.. dozens of ambulance rides.. looking for blood transfusions of hard to find blood, Ronald McDonald houses.. different cites.. it brings it all back.. The thing I think of most is for sure.. the suffering that my son went through. i hope we can do right by other children.

That wouldn't go over in this country.

Could you clarify your statement? What wouldn't go on in this country?

@AmmaRE007 Assisted suicide is considered euthanasia and is a crime in the United States. Dr Kevorkian went to prison in Detroit. This was for adult decisions. For a child it would've been worse.

@barjoe You're right...good explanations, too. The shock of it is that ALLEGEDLY COMPASSIONATE Xtians will insist that the entire family wait, watching, crying, suffering....because those Xtians think that
they and only they....know what's right.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:544641
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.