Agnostic.com

40 1

Would Oprah make a good presidential canidate?

Tell me your views on why you would or wouldn't support Oprah if she ran for President.

• 3 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 6 votes
  • 14 votes
  • 34 votes
paul1967 8 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

She's very polarizing in some circles and has a lot of baggage from a life long public career.
Sad to say I don't think most men in this country would vote for a woman and certainly not a black one, too many redneck hillbillies woman haters. Though a woman would be my first choice if she also had my values.

A lot of baggage is right! Repubs would nail her to a cross ( I know I said cross,but it's the essence of the idea).

No she is like the female version of Deepak Chopra. New Age 101.

[nationalreview.com]

No more amateurs, PLEASE! Politics is a real profession. Experience matters. I'm sure she would surround herself with more qualified people than Agent Orange has, and it wouldn't scare me if she was President.

She may make a better president than Trump (hell, practically anyone would make a better president than Trump). I personally do NOT want another media personality as the head of my nation.

No more TV stars for President. We will be fortunate to escape the Trump debacle and should leave politics to politicians.

She is just another one of the wealthy. Now if Schwarzenegger was allowed to run the Presnator J/K.

If Schwarzenegger was allowed to run and win he'd screw things up just like his incompetence did when he was governor of California.

@redbai How would anyone be able to tell if his policies would not work, the CA government went against him the entire time.

That's not how I remember it. I remember him giving Exton a sweetheart deal saving them billions in fines for nothing in return and robbing the school funding to pay for lower car registration fees. I can't remember a single thing he did that would have been objectively beneficial to the state that was blocked ked by the state congress. He is a mediocre actor and was terrible at governing.

Baggage.

We don't need another celebrity with no political experience. Like a lot of things, running the country should be left to trained professionals. The disdain for education and training in this country is a huge problem.

Anyone has got to be better than that fat orange arrogant twat.

Between Reagan and Trump I think we should stay away from TV and movie stars. There's a lot I like about Oprah and there's a lot I don't like.
Anyone who's ever been in a movie should stay away from electoral office.

Going to echo the same sentiment. TV stars don't belong in the oval office

Atheist hater.

No.. sorry. Trump would chew her up.

I don't think either is qualified, but I disagree with the assertion that if it were between Trump and Oprah, that Trump would "chew her up".

Oprah is generally liked if not loved. Hillary was liked at best and hated by a lot of people. If Trump attacked Oprah in the sme way, there would be a public backlash. His normal antics would backfire.

Personally, I hope the democrats fidn a much better candidate and we never have to find out who is right.

@snytiger6. I've already heard what she has done in the past and trumps people will dig it all up and use it against her. She's popular right now but that old crap kept hidden will get her. Trumps got ways to win and get what he wants. He'll dig deep to get her. See how he clobbered all those people during the debates. She's got baggage and he's evil. He's the president and she's just popular. She's got a lot to loose and she will if she debates with him.

Being a good candiate is one thing. She would.

Do I think she'd be a good president? I really don't think so. But maybe we'd all get cars.

I don't think she'd make a great president, but she would be better than Trump. However, Andy Dick would be better than Trump. Trump lowered the bar so much that you'd have to start digging (or perhaps mining) to find it.

@snytiger6 I can not disagree. I'm hoping we'll realize that electing smarter than us is a good thing. I don't know why the Republicans resent that. Seemingly.

@phil21 They demonize intellectualism, education and knowledge in general. I think it is because if peopel were educated enough to kow what was beign done, they would not likely o put up with it. So republican politicians set out to make the uneducated feel like they already know enough and to be outraged at those who know more than they do.

Candidate? Yes... President, no. Still running the religious junk. If Democrats want to win the next presidential election... they will have to move left. Overtures at centrism will not inspire young voters. “Have you seen the other guys?” Is the same strategy that cost them 2016... but they are still basically running the same gambit. Why do they think what didn’t work last time will work next time around? I don’t get it...

Actually it did work. The election was stolen. However, all that means is that the Dems should consider the other side cheating in whatever plans they put together.

@redbai Dems cry about the election being "stolen" but totally fail to address the perfidious way they handled their own primaries! Collusion between HRC and DNC is just as substantive as TRUMP/RUSSIA. Both just as dirty in my eyes. DNC is still trying to force their version of "Liberal" which fails to adequately address economic and ecological concerns. Economic questions are often reframed into civil rights issues, because they know anyone who tries to get things back on topic will risk looking like a bigot (watch for this pattern). Civil rights legislation is great, but it alone is not the best way to influence economic standards. Economic legislation is what is needed for that... crazy, right? I am glad they at least give lip service to being concerned about ecology, but I find the efforts here to be mm... I don't want to be unappreciative, what's a nice way to say it... dilute? We need aggressive ecological policy right now... the time for "measured approaches" has already been wasted away.

Sorry, I refuse to believe that Trump stealing the election and obviously kissing Putin's a$$ while leading this country is equivalent to whatever happened on the Democratic side with Clinton. We, as a country, only have to deal with the repercussions of the former; the latter is a problem for the Dems, a party of which I have never been a part. As a point, I've also never been a republican.

She's racist.

No more celebrities for president!

Neither Trump nor Oprah is qualified or has the background for the job. However Oprah has something Trump doesn't... competence.

Her candicy would be based on the cult of personality. Elizibeth Warren and Bernie Sanders have addressed THE major problem in the U.S. Nevertheless, she would be an easy choice between her and a second-term Trump.

She woudl bring something Trump lacks... competence.

Still she lacks the background for he office.

Oprah is completely credulous. Whatever wild theory is out there, she believes. Just watch old episodes of her show. She would be every bit as bad as any religious candidate.

In this extreme media age we need someone that is a reality president to go up vs Trumpty Dumpty.

Unlike Trump, at least Oprah is competent. She didn't inherit her wealth but is truly self made and she never went bankrupt. She is the better business person.

However, despite all that, she still isnt' realy qualified or have the right background.

Please trot out the Butcher of Bengahzi again!

No not the correct background.

No way!!!! She's made for popular consumption.

I dot' think she is qualified, but she would still do better than Trump... who also isn't really qualified.

i think we need somoene who is both qualified and competent. At least Oprah is competent.

Oprah is a celebrity not a politician or anyone who has shown any ability to govern or negotiate social policy. The Only reason she's even considered credible is because she's a celeb and the assumption that if Trump can be in the office, why not another celeb who doesn't have a disgustingly unethical background. [media.tenor.co]

I agree that beign a celebrity does nto make a person qualified for the presidency. However, unlike Trump, she did nto inherit, but actual. ly was self made, and she has never gone bankrupt.

So, all things considered, I think despite her lack of qualifications, she would still do a better job and is more qualified than Trump, as she is at lest a better business person and she at least knows what it is like to be poor.

@syntiger6 "she would still do a better job and is more qualified than Trump".

Set a low bar and you get terrible candidates. I would rather someone better than Obama or Clinton. Using Trump as the metric allows for more terrible people. Another GW Bush is viable with just being better than Trump and Bush started a war that's been going on for years.

If she was Athiest I would be open to it.

She doesnt' really have the background or education appropriate for the job.

Hoever, she woudl do a much better job than Trump is/has been doing.

A wild boar would do a better job and have a better temperament than Trump.

@paul1967 lol

@paul1967 When it comes to people, even Andy Dick would do a better job than Trump.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54588
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.