Agnostic.com

7 5

LINK Humans are born with brains ‘prewired’ to see words

"Humans are born with a part of the brain that is prewired to be receptive to seeing words and letters, setting the stage at birth for people to learn how to read, a new study suggests."

Pretty interesting read.

Amzungu 8 Oct 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If this is true, why, for the majority of human history, was writing a high-echelon elite skill? If "pre-wired", why did not most just pick it up on the fly?

No wonder Eric and Donald Jr. are so fucked up, the words they saw.

Unless you have Dyslexia

I think this is an interesting area of research...I wouldn’t think any actual conclusions can be drawn from these findings, but it’s certainly a possibility that over eons, our ability to be receptive to both speech and recognition of written language has been heightened as part of our evolutionary process. .

IIUC, it is not know when humans acquired language (and even much later, written language), so I don't see the evolutionary aspect of this.

It would be interesting to hear their explanation of people with dyslexia.A friend of mine claims that when he was in the Navy in Japan that one of his buddies was dyslexic and that enabled him to learn to read Japanese very easily because it was pictorial.

That would be a very interesting angle to investigate. The brain is simply fascinating. Every little thing we learn creates a thousand more questions.

Hmmm..... Pretty tenuous, I feel.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:545892
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.