Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK Residents of Wisconsin town near Kenosha in uproar over teacher's racism lesson

Children are dragged to church and made to believe that an unseen figure should be worshiped yet they can't be taught how to treat people as equals? Is teaching equality in schools a doctrine?

IAJO163 8 Oct 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well. ....it is Wisconsin...

I think that the parents should have been given prior notice before broaching a serious topic like this especially since it fall outside the curriculum

How is it outside of the curriculum? Teaching social skills and understanding political issues is part of pretty much every countries curiculum. Using current events is one way to help students be able to process and understand what is going on in their communities. Sounds to me like a bunch of white cornflakes got all bent out of shape that their personal views were being challenged and attacked the teacher.

That said I am a teacher there was a case of a young girl (8yrs old) coming home from school and disappearing, a neighbour saw her go past her house just four houses away from her home. The entire small town went out looking for her, her bag was found then finally she was found, raped. strangled and beaten. She was thrown into a dam after her death. My class came in and were talking about it. I put aside my lesson and talked to them about it. We discussed how they could protect themselves, we talked about listening to your own body when it is sending you a signal that you are unsafe. We spent half the day talking about it and listing the things it was acceptable to do if being abducted (which included urinating, vomiting and defecating on the person to make them let you go, along with screaming, biting, scratching and practise in how to go for someone's eyes with your fingers.) We practised how to drop to your back and kick out to prevent them picking you up as well as flopping (think of any 3 year old who goes all floppy when a parent is trying to get them to do something.) What I was teaching is in the curriculum (Health) but was pretty out there. NOT ONE parent complained. Some even thanked me for broaching a subject they were not sure how to.

The parents in this town are just feeling attacked as their world view is being challenged and their responses shows why the teacher was correct in teaching it to the students as the parents are too thick to be able to.

The children asked. Would they have gotten this knowledge from the parents who are having a problem with it?

"How do we stop systemic racism?" is similar to "Have you stopped beating your wife (yes/no)?"

Explain, how so?

Both make unsupported assumptions.

@PBuck0145 You assume the assumptions are unsupported because you haven't bothered to examine your own assumptions.

A Black person is roughly 3 times more likely to be killed by the police than a White person in the US. Black drivers are stopped at a higher rate than White and Hispanic. And at a traffic stop, a White driver is the least likely to have their vehicle searched, by a huge margin.

Statistically, about 1 out of 1,000 Black men can expect to be killed by the police. That's 3 times the chances of a White male and twice the risk of all ethnic groups combined.

Blacks make up 13% of the population, but Blacks are 34% of the total male prison population. Blacks receive longer prison sentences, are less likely to get bail, less likely to receive a probation sentence, and less likely to be paroled.

I'm not making this up. These are statistics that you can look up in 20 minutes.

Moreover, Black people live with the assumption of guilt. Imagine walking into a store and having the clerk follow you, making sure you're not a shoplifter. Imagine being pulled over because you drive a vehicle that's too new or too nice. Imagine the police stopping you because you're wearing suspicious-looking clothing. Imagine being asked by the police to produce ID and prove that you live in your own home.

Yes, Virginia, there is systemic racism.

@Paul4747 A mostly factual response, except for the first and last sentences, which are unsupported assumptions.

oh god, i smell another politically correct pep rally for au currant conventional racial dogma coming. please!...... make it stop!,........... no more! ill say or do whatever you want!.............but first, lets all re read brave new world and 1984
_less holy than thou. but more into the science of genetics

courant ...... (sorry)

@holdenc98 why not just say current? Using french won't make you sound smarter.

@Mofo1953 -- sometimes i like to use the snotty word when lancing the stupid sacred cows. its more fun that way. lets both work on sounding smarter.

@holdenc98 You mean... when exposing your own ignorance?

@Paul4747 just as i feared. ive disturbed the hive and now theyre swarming.

@Paul4747, @Mofo1953 - and by the way, current and au currant don't have the same meaning at all. but im sure an astuteless un- effeetey effluvient and prestidigitous savant such as yourself already well knows that.

@holdenc98 wow, not only are you ignorant in english but also in french, either that or you're an amnesiac who forgot his own comment. The way you phrased your comment "i smell another politically correct pep rally for au currant conventional racial dogma coming" is properly translated as current. Au courant means keeping someone informed, up to date, in the loop, and other similar phrases, none valid as proper translation to your imbecilic comment. Using archaic presumptuous words only highlight your absolute ignorance and is known in psychiatry as delusion of grandeur syndrome. But to me you're just another Oswald Bates.

@Mofo1953 - im afraid your syntax is starting to tangle and youre starting to sound even more like trump than before. did you miss your metamucil this morning? lets just agree that our friendship has hit a snag and part in peace.

@holdenc98 i am always at peace. Trump is an ignorant egotistic and psychopatic asshole, so if we're talking "sounding like," I'm afraid the pot is calling the kettle black.

@Mofo1953 - ( what the hell is he going on about now?) well at least we end with apparent agreement about trump. allies of convenience for the duration. like the tallibend and al "towel-head"kada. as for the rest of your messege.....je ne comprend pas. et maintenant.....a demain. ou, a rien.

@holdenc98 oui, Oswald.

@Mofo1953 - horse's petute

This is exactly the sort of thing schools ought to be teaching. The opposing parents should be publicly shamed.

Yeah because how dare parents want to know what their children are being taught!

@Heavykevy1985 It's not the wanting to lnow, it's the opposition to being taught about racism. Sort of like your attitude.

@jeshuey no. So-called racism is outside the curriculum. Parents have right to know what is being taught

@Heavykevy1985 You appear to object to human rights being taught in school. Why is that?

@jeshuey -- whats being taught about "racism" (the 3rd rail word that halts all rational discussion) is one sided propaganda by an entrenched politically correct establishment. and that is a large part of why the incoherent trump morons are still up in arms. and it sort of like your attitude

@holdenc98 Because there's good racism too? Jerk.

@Heavykevy1985 As opposed to reaching them racism, therefore the complaints?

@jeshuey -- deep thinking, pithy wit. youre ready for a guest shot on al sharptons masnbc segment

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:546385
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.