Agnostic.com

12 9

Lgbtq+ as a threshold?

As soon as I figured out I was gay (11yrs) religion started to fall apart for me.
I tried to keep going but so much of what I heard was so wrong, it lead to a lot of questions that had no answers.
Did anyone else have a similar experience?

Peeves 6 Apr 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I have. However, not as early in life as you did. I noticed I was attracted to men in my early 20s. Shortly after a gay friend asked me for . I might have did it if he was attractive, but he was not. Religion kept me down for many years and I'm glad I'm free of it now. I know there no god.

I was sent to an all boys boarding school, where the worst thing you could possibly be was 'queer.' Without even doing anything gay myself, I got branded one and ostracised because, on my first night there, one of the others had tried to get into my bed and we'd been caught. It took over 6 months for me to get my reputation back and fall back into favour.

The school had its 'gay boys' and we all avoided them. Funnily enough, they were the first to go out and get girls pregnant upon leaving. I don't think they were gay so much as highly sexed and willing to take the only outlet available.

Years later, at a school reunion, it all came out as to who'd been sucking who. Turns out I was one of the few there who hadn't been sexually active. I fell under the protection of one of the 'harder' kids. He wouldn't lay a finger on me because I was a friend, and if anyone else had touched me, he'd probably have broken their nose.

I've never hated the idea of sex with women. But I've always fantasised about sex with men (and boys my own age, when I was younger.) For years, I followed the understanding that if you can possibly be content as a practising heterosexual, you had a duty to be one. I had a few same sex experiences, all of which ended badly. A very drunken fumble with a close friend and flatmate led to him moving back in with his mother the following day. The friendship never really recovered. I made a gay crush a little too obvious to my Catholic mother once. "I'm not having any of that shit under my roof" was her response. She had no problem with me having sex with my first girlfriend under that same roof.

School was up to 1984, the incident with the flatmate somewhere between 1988 and 1990, and the "none of that shit" thing with my mother about 1994. Times were different, the world was much more homophobic, and we didn't have the Internet to discover queer politics and to connect with others like us. I could have gone to prison over the flatmate: he was 19 and I'd just turned 21. The age of consent between males in the UK was 21 at the time (16 for mixed sex couples and, as I undersstand it, no specific legal limit for two women.)

Your story is only too familiar, except that I was active and the reputation, for obvious reasons, never recovered.
The sex was good though and I wonder how much of the persecution was just plain envy given how many of my persecutors came out after graduating.

@RobAnybody I think a lot of the persecution comes from a desire for plausible deniability. If you're clearly 'anti-queer', then you're obviously not getting sucked off by one of the other pupils when nobody's looking. I suspect most of them were.

A similar effect can be found watching Rolf Harris or Jimmy Savile making warning videos for kids about stranger danger. It's about placing themselves in a position beyond question, so that they can get away with doing the very things they're condemning. And if anyone does make an accusation, it won't be believed. Other good examples: every anti-gay politician or preacher, who gets caught with their trousers down with a younger male at some point in their career. People actively involved in such things, who can't accept their legitimacy (between consenting adults) tend to smokescreen.

I once had a guy at a naturist club give me a long and totally out of the blue lecture on the evils of child sexual abuse. A few months later, he was in prison. Turned out he'd been raping both of his stepchildren for years.

It kind of feels wrong to think back to what might have happened between me and a 14 year old, even though I was 14 myself at the time. But if I'd had some sexual experiences there, maybe I'd have figured out my sexuality properly in my teens, rather than my early 40s.

@NicoleCadmium Good point.

As a guy who used to have long hair, I was told by total strangers that I was going to burn in a lake of fire, just for being a guy with long hair. Needless to say I didn't (still don't) feel comfortable asking religious people about sexual orientation.

Yep. Exact same, but from the perspective of a transgender mtf individual.

I went to the funeral of a friend who died in the "second wave" AIDS crisis in the 80s. The preacher--his cousin--had no trouble saying my friend was in Hell, but we shouldn't feel bad about it. I'm thinking this was the first major chunk out of my religious armor.

I think this could definitely be true for a lot of LGBTQ+ people especially when considering how hypocritical Christians are toward them. We're told that Jesus was all about love and kindness and forgiveness and blah blah blah but, suddenly, if you're non-hetero, you're going straight to hell. That contradiction is honestly what led me away from religion. My uncle was gay and loved by many but, as soon as he got sick with AIDS, he lost everyone but his closest family. I could blame it on the fact it was the 80's, but a lot still hasn't changed since then.

Sort of. I realized I was a partial transmale and androgyne in 2014, about the time the alt-right began attacking the LGBTQ community.

I quickly decided the alt-right and most churches were homo and transphobic, and not places I wanted to be..ever.

yes, it did. However it was later in life for me. However, I considermyself bi.

It was reversed for me. I lost my faith in high school, but didn’t really realize I was bisexual until I was in college. I was a bit of a late bloomer in all things sexual.

I don't mean to hijack this thread but what is the difference between the G and the Q in LGBTQ? I am not bring flippant. I just don't know. And what's the + ?

G=gay
Q= questioning
+= intersexual, pansexual, gender variant, asexual (I think, I'm not quite clear on this one)

Correct me if I'm wrong.

@MacTavish Thank you. The veil of my ignorance has been lifted. ?

@Scoobs therein lies my confusion. Maybe it's because I'm too old to understand to difference. I don't care really. Everyone must be free to do or not do with their love and body as they see fit between consenting adults.

@Scoobs I believe queer was meant to be a catch all umbrella term, so that all the other people wanting to add letters would calm down.

We were taught the Q was for questioning, this was in several university classes over the last few years. That is what I based my answer on. After a brief glance at the internet it is common to use either 'queer' or 'questioning' interchangeably.
Still not too old to learn!!

@jwd45244 I understand your confusion. It may be a question of which term the individual is more comfortable with to identify their status.

It is fully LGBTQQIP2SAA
Lesbian (2 women)
Gay (2 men)
Bisexual (sexually attracted to 2 genders)
Transgender (born in the wrong gender)
Queer (Another term for 'not straight' )
Questioning (not straight but not sure yet)
Intersex (biological third gender, born with traces of male and female chromosomes)
Pansexual (attracted to the entire spectrum of gender)
2spirited (aboriginal person that has a male and female spirit. It is very well respected in their beautiful culture)
Asexual (no sexual desire or attraction)
Ally (a straight cos gender person that is 100% for/with the gay community)
Some argue the second A stands for androgynous and that means someone who is outwardly gender neutral or their appearance is gender fluid.
🙂

@Peeves And the ever increasing length leads me to hope that we're moving past, or through, or beyond (or something), the breaking of our sexuality into discrete categories and starting to just go "this is what I find attractive" male (frex) being no more a criterion than shaved or tattooed.

That's kind of the point. When the spectrum gets so big there's really nothing anyone can say anymore. They still do. And there are still so many battles left, but our community is so huge now that people are realizing that it's better to just let it happen. Let us be us. Don't come to the parade if you don't support it because we have the support we need. On the other hand it is still punishable.by death in a lot of countries. So even though it's a social topic here, it's life or death somewhere else and that can take a toll on the size of the battle.

My best friend from high school has a sister that is gay. It actually confuses me because both the sister and my friend are fundementalist Christians.

From what I've been told, the family deals with Laura (the sister) being gay by "praying". I'm not sure if they're praying that she sees the light and become hetero, or praying that God overlooks the sin. I'm not sure how Laura resolves the contradiction and personally don't really care to know.

Personally, I find the entire thing stupid. Laura is the same person she was before finding her partner, and sexuality should not matter.

The same as you though I'm straight. no one could come up with satisfactory answers apart from "God did it" and that isn't an answer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:54723
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.