Agnostic.com

7 1

Are we witnessing the end of "American Exceptionalism?"

powder 8 Nov 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We were never really exceptional except perhaps just after the 2nd World War. Vietnam and all subsequent wars took care of that. Now, Europe has learned and become united and is a lot more exceptional than the US. The emergence of tRump and his enablers simply shows we have not learned the mistakes of parts of Europe during the depression and are therefore doomed to repeat them. The only thing exceptional about this country is, because of it's extreme,carbon footprint it is rated, along with China, the most overpopulated nation on the planet.

If the Republicans have a say yes

Was American Exceptionalism not always a complete myth in the first place?

Believing that kind of rhetoric is what has led America to believe they are on a mission to bring their brand of democracy to the world...and it’s very close to a belief that they’re on a divine mission to do god’s will on earth. That is a dangerous belief and it became clearly so when “In God We Trust” became the official motto of the United States when it was adopted by the US Congress in 1956...supplanting “E Pluribus Unum” (Out of many, the One), which was the original motto on the Great Seal Of America dating from 1776. The Republican Party is bit by bit trying to turn America into a right-wing Christian Theocracy. It’s a supreme irony that they have chosen as their current figurehead to lead their crusade, the least godly, and most profane and irreligious “messiah” in Donald J. Trump. I’m afraid that looking in from the outside the only “exceptional” anything on display in the USA in 2020 is exceptional division and an insurmountable chasm dividing its people.

If Trump is re-elected I fear there will be a further slide into right-wing authoritarianism and if Biden does, there will be opposition to any reforms by a Senate still controlled by the Republicans. This will effectively tie Biden’s hands and stymie any hope of meaningful change at home, however in foreign policy and signing up to international climate change controls and supporting NATO and the WHO, the USA’s allies will welcome an expected change of policy. The USA will continue to be needed as the leader of the largest economy in the world, not because of any perceived American Exceptionalism, but because they can show exceptional leadership and solidarity with other nations in these times of real crisis the whole world is experiencing.

We've moved on to the era of exceptional Americanism.

Yes.I wrote a couple of days ago here about the election that I was forlorn because I don't trust American political parties, I don't trust American electoral systems, I don't trust American legal systems, and most of all I don't trust Americans, so why would anyone trust their polls? So, the result so far is no shock to me. Biden may sqeak out a victory, but I expect the Republican party's use of corrupt American systems to keep Trump there will prevail. I'll happily admit I was wrong if I am, but see if I'm right. I remember when I wrote here months before the worthless Mueller Report came out that it would be a fizzer and a Republican smother. I was condemned roundly for not respecting what a great institutionalist hero Mueller was. Baloney. I was right. It was a fizzer. I suspect American corruption will keep the Trump Republican autocracy where it is. American systems are too weak now. American exceptionalism, to your question, is now a past echo of a farce; it always was part myth part real, but now it is pure mythology. The whole world knows it. Trumpism is now known to be not an abberation but what America now is: a country where virtually half the population desire autocracy, and they don't care who dies keeping it there.

The end of American would be exceptional but well worth true freedom for everyone to have their own brick home built by true masons free from mortgage free from rent, free from taxation and free from governmental terrorism and free from religious oppression capitism slavery and issue some true justice capital punishment for anyone who opposes it.

Word Level 8 Nov 4, 2020

Any chance you could tone it down a notch until the stress has eased a bit?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:549695
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.