Agnostic.com

12 6

LINK Florida Woman Launches Petition Drive to Have Forced Prayers in Public Schools | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

With a conservative supermajority on the Supreme Court, activist Felecia Townes has decided now’s the time to undo a longstanding legal precedent: She wants forced prayer back in public schools.

snytiger6 9 Nov 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Usually it's Florida Man making headlines for his stupidity. I suppose this is at least a change!

It's the republican idea of "equal opportunity"... equl stupidity.

Hope she gets covid.

Fuck that shit!

Forced prayer? Even in my school days I only remember a minute of silent prayer for those who wanted to pray. My church going classmates declare even today that it was much different and that prayer was removed from our public schools. I don't remember it.

And here in the civilized state of Washington, a ballot was passed mandating sex education in the public schools for all ages.

On NPR, they alluded to Sweden, which has a similar program. Where sexual responsibility is taught from an early age. Ironically the religious right would wan t their results of first sexual encounters at older ages and fewer per capita abortions.

@snytiger6 An editorial came out today about this bill [q13fox.com] It was upheld by a 60% majority. Funny thing, in the editorial it was written that a big reason this got passed was because of the nones (no religion) in the state.

@JackPedigo Not sure about here in WA, but I do know that in Portland, they have the largest atheist population of any major U.S. city.

@snytiger6 But that's just one city. Still, our numbers are increasing.

She probably either smoked too much PCP or otherwise ate too many paint chips.

I hear they go well with hummus and red wine.

In elementary school, we used to say a pre lunch prayer daily. Then, and it took almost two years, the SC stopped that. I said something to the teacher about prayer. Rather than make it a teachable moment, she went off on me. ""I decide., etc." A couple days later, with no explanation, we no longer had a forced prayer.

I needed to look again. The SC ruled in 62. The teacher incident occurred in 64. Public school in the farm heartland of Central Pennsylvania.

Jewish prayers? Muslim prayers? Iroquois prayers? Akhenatenic prayers? Satanic prayers?

The women is a raving lunatic.

As well as a mental defective.

Saw her on the local news with this garbage.

I really wish these people would keep their delusions to themselves.

Wonder how she would feel about muslim kids getting out their prayer rugs during the school day?

She can go fuck herself.

I see her as typical of the brainwashed "can't think, won't think" brigade that infests much of Florida.

My first thought was to post "fuck her." 👍👍

@anglophone And the whole Bible Belt.

@Beowulfsfriend No no, she might enjoy having a boner inside her belly. A slap to the head in an attempt to knock some common sense into her might be more effective. 😉

I'll never understand this. If people wish to pray in school now - there's absolutely nothing stopping them. What IS it with some jerkos !?

To answer your question, they are catastrophically mentally defective.

If you have a few dollars...please donate to ACLU and FFRF. They have resources to fight this garbage!

Not a bad idea.

However, I don't think this will get anywhere. While we still have a long way to go, we're miles from where we were when the original decisions about prayer in school took place.

Anyone can pray anywhere they want. It's laughable that people complain about how they took prayer out of schools. How can you take prayer out of anywhere?

Oh, it's not about the ability to pray in school....anyone who's seen the faces as those SATs are passed out knows some prayer's probably going on.

No..they want CHRISTIAN prayers jammed into little kids' heads....

@LucyLoohoo Sometimes I neglect to take my point all the way to its conclusion.

My point is that since prayer is something that anyone can do anywhere, there's no need to force it on anyone.

@UpsideDownAgain I understand and agree. My point is...it's about mandating prayer...Christian prayer. ALOUD.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:550523
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.