Agnostic.com

9 15

My encounter with two cougars, age 22.

Backpacking in the Olympic Mountains with two guys, I hiked up to Flapjack Lakes. Steep. When we arrived, families were fishing and noisily enjoying the lake.

We pitched the tent. Shoved in our backpacks and agreed to hike higher. I stuffed a jacket, water and Dad's old Super-8 movie camera into a napsack, grabbed a Frisbee and we took off.

Heavy snow had the guys post-holing up to their thighs. They were cursing and groaning, watching me skip ahead atop the snow-crust. I'm lightweight.

Suddenly I came to a wall of icy snow. "I wonder if I can see over it," I thought. Kicking steps, I climbed up the wall. Another snow wall loomed higher. Up again. When I was halfway up the third wall, I heard the guys yell, "Kathleen! STOP!"

Turning, I couldn't get down. Too steep. No ice axe. I thought for a second. Then I sat down on the Frisbee in my hand and hollered, "Catch me!"

I shot down the snowfields steering with my hands and feet. The guys tackled me at the bottom. They were furious. "You could have been killed!" I didn't want to hear it and ran ahead. "Post-holing will slow them down," I thought.

My attention was snagged by movement in a meadow below. A giant tawny cat leaped 15 feet to the top of a boulder. A cougar! It saw me, jumped down and walked across a snowfield toward me. I began filming it.

The cougar stopped in a patch of yellow flowers and disappeared. Couldn't see it. It walked along the shadowed edge of a creek, froze, and I couldn't see it. Great camouflage.

By then the guys had arrived. When the cougar reached the base of the hill we were standing on, it started uphill toward us. Suddenly it was joined by another cougar from the side. Both cougars relentlessly headed uphill toward us.

The men were yelling and throwing down rocks. "Put the camera away, we're leaving."
The guys put me between them. We stayed close together in single file, hustling down to the lake, people and safety. We were in Cougar Country with giant boulders overhead. A big cat could easily leap down on us.

When we got to the lake, everyone had gone home! It was Sunday afternoon. That night, nobody stepped outside of the tent to pee.

In the morning we excitedly told the ranger at Staircase Ranger Station. "I have been here for 14 years and have never seen a cougar, just their tracks," he said. "Heavy snow drove down the deer and the cougars followed."

Driving out on a logging road, a cougar ran across the road in front of us. Amazing.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow great story Kathleen! I have never seen a cougar, just 20-30 bears and rattlesnakes. My first solo backpacking trip in Yosemite NP was at age 17. I can across a rattlesnake on the trail just as it was getting dark. I was traveling light, no stove, no sleeping bag, and no flashlight. So the last mile was by moonlight. It was too dark to put my food in a bear bag in a tree so I left it in my pack. The next morning a bear was in a nearby tree trying to get another campers food bag and the owners were trying to chase it off. I guess my food was not good enough for the bear.

When I lived on the river I ignorantly drove a Camaro. And in winter the place was dead, we were one of only a couple that lived there year round. It wasn't my choice. I skidded on ice on the gravel road one time and had to walk home. I got stalked by two coyotes most of the way home a little over a mile. Thankfully, I'd grabbed the 40 cal I have and had it in hand but I sure didn't want to have to use it. I had to pee so bad by the time I got in the house!

@Larimar

That's terrifying! Glad you had a gun.

One of the men with us, Tim, took out his handgun when the cougars were stalking us. Tim carried it as we walked briskly (never run) back down to Flapjack Lakes.

Tim was in the Army during the Vietnam War and trained as a nurse. He stabilized injured soldiers in helicopters, evacuating them to hospitals.

After that, Tim worked as an emergency room nurse in Colorado. Hippies came to the hospital badly beaten up, and women were raped by rednecks in the mountains while hiking. That's why Tim carried a gun and an IV bottle on hikes.

Tim became an emergency room medical doctor in Seattle. He was my first husband.

@LiterateHiker I really don't think they were anything other than curious but better safe than sorry. I knew where both of them were at all times and they knew where I was. I walked, didn't run and let them know that I knew they were there. My dogs were unhappy when I got home because we usually them them out immediately and I kept them up on the deck. I was happier cleaning that up than them possibly getting injured. Rather than take over your post, I'm going to explain a few things in one of my own.....

I can see why this story stays fresh in your mind forever ,danger always ,stays with us ,an amazing experience Kathleen ,Happy everyone stayed safe

With a title like "My encounter with two cougars, age 22." there's usually a "Dear Penthouse" in front.

good one,any stories you care to tell lol

Amazing! I’m glad the guys took care of you

@BudFrank

Me, too. A cougar would attack me because I'm the smallest.

I've always been surprised how seldom people see mountain lions. They can be confident sometimes almost to the point of arrogance.
A ranger at the North Rim told me of seeing a cat one morning sunning itself on a road. He tried to scare it away so it wouldn't get hit but it refused to go.
Even driving his truck up to it and honking his horn wasn't enough to convince it to go. After several minutes the cat casually got up and wandered off into the woods -- I'm sure annoyed at being disturbed. Ha, ha.

I envy you. I wish I'd ever gotten the chance to see one outside.

What a wonderful and thrilling experience! Safety in numbers - with three of you sticking closely together, I doubt a cougar would try anything. But one person alone, maybe.

@nicestuff

Good point.

While hiking, Karen and I found a bloody deer leg on the trail. "Looks like a cougar kill," Karen said.

"Good deduction," I replied. "I think coyotes stole the deer leg and dragged it here to eat," I replied. "See the coyote scat?"

With hiking poles, we pushed the deer leg off the trail. Then skedaddled, thinking the cougar was nearby.

Last summer I had an encounter with a self-described cougar, age 61. It didn't work out past the first date.

hope there were no claw marks lol

@RoyMillar Actually, the claw marks were a high point of the whole thing.

It was when she started giving me career and parenting advice the next week that I decided she wanted to get her claws in me a little too much.

Just a big pussycat.

Until it's not.

@EdEarl

These people are insane. That's a dangerous, wild animal.

@LiterateHiker They're nuts. Some people are unhappy unless they risk their lives; some make a living by doing dangerous stunts, like Evil Kinevil. S9je become criminals rising incarceration or serial murderers risking everything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:551016
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.