Agnostic.com

6 9

Booming population helped Dems in Georgia. Mississippi's "brain drain" is keeping it red.

This wins the prize for the funniest headline today. So, smart young people leave Mississippi, leaving behind idiots who vote Republican.

For most states, population growth is a slow boil. In Mississippi, it’s almost nonexistent. From 2000 to 2019, Mississippi’s overall population grew by less than 1 percent, according to census data.

Only four other states grew slower, or lost overall population. During the same period, Georgia’s took off, increasing by almost percent and further diversifying the state’s electorate.

Unlike in Georgia, many of Mississippi’s residents, and increasing millennials, leave the state each year, and there are few new arrivals to replace them.

That means any realignment in the state’s politics would require persuading existing residents to change their party allegiance — but there’s a question of how much ground is to be gained among conservative voters who place a high premium on candidates’ stances on abortion, taxes, guns and energy regulations.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Build the wall around these ass backward states!

Missouri isn't much better!
[oa.mo.gov]

I grew up in Missouri, and don't miss it a bit. Took me forever to realize I was a flaming liberal amidst good ol' conservatives. Massachusetts is a much better choice.

@alliwant I'll move when I retire unless my boss can guarantee me a decent transfer. I keep thinking about Germany.....

For whatever reason, Mississippi is the only state/district in the US that is green on the Rt index for the past several days. [rt.live] They are doing at least ONE thing right. That being said, I hated living south of the Mason Dixon, and never want to do so again.

Ah wish floriduh, mah state, cain't do this no moh!

Up here in Canada we have 3 main partys ,2 are the most prominent but Lot of people do vote more for the leader they want regardless of party and a lot of people are true die hards but more and more people vote for the local canidate regardless of party ,that they feel will get the most done for the locl area as well as the national as a whole. To be more fair the liberal party senators released them all ,so that they can vote as they wish without any consequences ,Hopefully the whole senate will be that way someday and it will trickle down to the house of commons

The same is true of the entire rural south, from Florida to North Carolina, Kentucky, to Arkansas. There is little economic opportunity in the entire rural area, so more intelligent people either leave, or they go into the military and stay under-educated. I speak from experience.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:552622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.