Agnostic.com

8 6

This Isn't Feminism, It's Imperialism In Pumps

Caitlin Johnstone

“Let's clear this up before the girl power parade starts: the first woman to head the US war machine will not be a groundbreaking pioneer of feminist achievement. She will be a mass murderer who wears Spanx. Her appointment will not be an advancement for women, it will be imperialism in pumps.”

[caitlinjohnstone.substack.com]

skado 9 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think what Johnstone is attacking is the concept of bourgeois feminism. That is, that tyrants and parasites are somehow less tyrranical and parasitic if they are female.

I have no use for Caitlin Johnstone, she's an Australian making comments about my countries military, so she can just go F herself. Not that our military has a perfect record, but we have plenty of constructive criticism for them without her help.

I'm disgusted by the characterization of our highly professional military as "mass murderers" and "ghouls". It's not the Department of "Defense", as Ms Johnson terms it; it's the Department of Defense. No "quote unquote" marks. The department that has been defending- imperfectly, yes, because human beings are involved- America and the free world from the threat of World War 3 for 75 years and still counting. The department under which hundreds of thousands of Americans this very minute are serving, so that Ms Johnson is free to insult them.

She is welcome to her grotesque mischaracterization. And if Michele Flournoy is chosen as Secretary of Defense, she will no doubt defend Ms Johnson's right to insult her as an American freedom, as would I.

That doesn't mean I'm any the less revolted by her utopian drivel.

@Fred_Snerd Need I remind you that the military, in America at least, is under the ultimate command of elected civilians. Military officials may advise a course of action, but the Commander-in-Chief is the one who commits to it, or not.

Sec. of Defense James Mattis (whose nickname was not "Mad Dog", which sobriquet was bestowed on him by Trump) frequently cautioned against precipitate actions, for instance against the strike on Qasem Soleimani, which he warned would ratchet up tensions and push Iran toward extreme measures in retaliation. It was the president who insisted that he wanted to make a statement by essentially assassinating Iran's secretary of defense.

There is usually an inverse relationship between having been under fire, and desiring to go there again, or desiring to put young service members in harm's way. It's typically the civilian leaders who get their idea of combat from Arnold Schwarzenegger films who think war is a romp. Those who go there do so because they see it as their duty. Is there an adrenalin surge? Is there comradery? Absolutely. That's the compensation for risking their lives. But it's usually not why they risk their lives.

@Fred_Snerd Point number two: we have a strong, professional military defending us and our allies abroad precisely so we won't have another world war. We are one of the two remaining superpowers, and there's no getting around it: we are responsible for world peace.

I disagree strongly.

I am a fan of more women in high government and military positions. I am NOT a fan of people who think they are a hammer. Everything tends to look like a nail to them and they are apt to delegate to a hammer.
I really do not understand some women.

The misogyny is palpable.......

The writer is a woman......

@skado so? Lotsa nutty women out there....Phyllis Shafly, anyone?

I can see other possible explanations.

I agree with you. It has nothing at all to do with feminism and everything to do with imperialism. No the USA does not need a defense department in the form it is right now.

Okay. We do have to have DOD and we need a Secretary of Defense. Thanks Joe Biden for breaking the glass ceiling big time. Michele Flournoy, will be the highest ranking woman in the military. I think this is a good thing. Unless you wish to end the military, why would you call this Imperialism in pumps. Ridiculous.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:553130
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.