Agnostic.com

13 1

Hypothetical: Humanity chooses A.I. over Children

Imagine humanity agreed not to pro-create any more.
Instead, they decided to create A.I. to succeed them.

Once the humans died out-
essentially the planet would be rid of the human race.

What would this world look like? Is this a tragedy or a happy ending?

silvereyes 8 Nov 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@SKDeitch Exactly my point my friend. Parents "program" their children the way the parents see fit. So what difference will it make if we do away with a lot of the human births and substitute AI for children.

If the Human Race is intelligent and has made such a mess of things I don't think I could describe the disaster that would follow the bequeathing of the planet to Artificial Intelligence created by us. It would be like replacing butter with margarine. All good intentions but poisonous as hell!

I see this as a tragedy but the path humanity is currently on portends that humanity will destroy itself inevitably by depleting its resources, failing to recognize the importance of the flora and fauna in the overall scheme of nature, and ultimately fail to learn from history. I don't think the massive ego humans possess would let anything including A.I. to replace nor succeed them.

SamL Level 7 Nov 28, 2017

I don't know. Do we program self-sustainability into the A.I.? Do we add routines into the software that computes probability of harm to the environment? I DEFINITELY can see a lot of humans choosing A.I. over raising children. Does that mean these "parents" will say what software is added to their "children"? Very good thought provoking topic!

supremacy victory, and Civ BE fans in the house?

Finally, progeny that aren't complete disappointments.

Sometimes you just need someone to talk to

If AI did not consume unrenewable natural resources and had the ability to monotor its advancement the planet would of course start healing from the gross negligence that wasteful greedy polutting humans heeped upon it .With out humans the ecological imbalance would return to normal

Life.. uh.. finds a way. (Jurassic Park reference)

Human life will prevail, I hope, but unlike most, I actually have some anxiety about the potential of AI overtaking humanity and eliminating us. When will the technological singularity happen, if at all, is the question.

What the world will look like is irrelevant, if we aren’t here to experience it. But assuming AI takes over, I’m assuming it will at least be...uh efficient, I guess. Cool-looking.

definitely a tragedy. luckily I will be dead before this happens

Machines don't eat, drink, or breathe, so there is a good chance the environment (over time) would get to the point that it couldn't sustain any plant or animal life.
Machines would just continue to build more and more machines on a desolate planet.

@silvereyes Sure the AI could become smarter than us by building more and more sophisticated machines, but they're still machines and unless something serves a purpose for them it won't be a priority for them to sustain it. It would be like The Matrix as @Annaleda suggested.

But @Paul628, it's possible AI would find a purpose in sustaining life, or creating beauty, or maybe even grow their own people. Their preferred life may actually be more organic than we presume.

Yes, everything dies. The machines just take over.

@silvereyes I thought this was just a hypothetical. Why y'all pilin' up on me? lol

I imagine it would be like The Matrix.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5536
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.