Agnostic.com

6 9

Have you ever started fixing an item and something else breaks?

The zipper wasn't working on my favorite vest. This vest fits me perfectly. It's comfortable and great for winter hiking. I considered tearing the vest apart, using it as a pattern to sew a new vest. It fits me that well. But first...

Wearing a headlamp, today I discovered two problems with the vest zipper. First, I replaced the zipper slider/pull.

When I sat down to do hand-sewing on the vest, I tossed this blue fleece jacket on the couch. Ping! Lightweight metal hit the floor. The zipper pull fell off the jacket! I laughed.

So, I replaced the zipper slider/pull on the blue jacket, too. My new computerized sewing machine couldn't handle the fleece jacket thickness. So much for new technology.

There's satisfaction in firmly hand-sewing.

LiterateHiker 9 Nov 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Computerized sewing? I am in awe. I repair by hand. Folks are amazed that I repair at all & do it by hand. American values. Throw it into the landfill for a missing button & purchase another one from a sweatshop in El Salvador.

No, not that I can think of but have been darning some thermal tights up recently and will be taking up some curtains soon too. The to do list is getting done 😉

I spent my whole career fixing problems in commercial buildings. When doesn't that happen? 😉

1of5 Level 8 Nov 20, 2020

It's nice to know there are people out there who still fix clothes!

@Holysocks

Thank you.. My best friend's mother taught Jami and me to sew the summer before we began 7th grade. To keep us out of trouble. I sewed my clothes in junior and senior high. Didn't stop there.

It's hard to find clothes that fit. Long-waisted, I have long arms, broad shoulders, and a small waist and hips.

So I make comfortable clothes that fit properly. The dress I made for Claire's wedding in 2018 was a challenge. The hem is a perfect circle.

Here are other clothes I made.

@LiterateHiker You do beautiful work! I have sewn clothes back together, but my favorite was a pair of my favorite boots. They were cheap, but comfortable. The stitches blew out, but I wasn't about to let them get away from my feet that easily.

@Holysocks

Thank you. Good for you! I hand-sewed stitches on a pair of leather boots, too. Here's a corduroy jacket I made.

Christmas stocking are fun to make. I'm getting better at embroidery. "Mom, I have always loved the stocking you made for Rosie," Claire said. Rosie was Claire's cat when she was a child. Why not make it Claire's?

Claire's boyfriend Shane never had a homemade Christmas stocking before. It's a surprise. They are coming for Christmas Eve.

@LiterateHiker
You are top notch! I tend to make hats, but have issues. You do wonderful work!

If it is going to happen it will lol

Murphy’s law at work, maybe?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:554518
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.