Agnostic.com

11 5

Community

It is my belief that there are people on dating sites just to pass the time with no intentions on meeting. Some just see it as a means of entertainment. One of the things I like about this site is that those that are here for community state so as part of their bio. Do you think that should be something that other sites should be more emphatic about?

Shelton 8 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

On dating sites, I can usually tell how serious someone is by checking out their profile. If it looks like they didn't have more than 30 seconds to spend on it, I'll assume they're not looking for any kind of serious relationship.

I like trying to use systems in ways that weren't intended by the designer. It helps the owners refine their intended purpose. If they like the new use, they support it; if they don't, they close the loophole. OKCupid had a quite wonderful (though not as well moderated) discussion community for a few years until Match bought them out and shut down that feature. Match said it didn't facilitate their purpose, which tells me their purpose wasn't to help people get to know each other.

skado Level 9 Apr 12, 2018

It might help, but most agnostics are statistically higher IQ than the general population, so they are more likely to appeciate intellectual discussions.

Most people on dating popular websites seem to be desperate to get laid, find The One, etc., with little interest in hanging out to chat.

In fact, in the book "Rules for Dating Online," women are advised to delete any male who hasn't set a date to meet up in person within five messages.
That wouldn't work well here, though, since most people have few compatible agnostic.com members living near them, as a rule.

Yeah and I think some people just like attention from people they like but wouldn't consider having a relationship with. When I was young I caught on too late about that with a guy and it hurt when I eventually found that he wasn't actually interested, he just liked attention and feeling wanted. Girls do that too to guys but it's actually easier to tell because if they refuse a face to face meeting or don't ever want to show or recieve affection then it's likely they just want your attention.

sounds like a good idea

I'm a fan of the platform for a dating site. It gives people a chance to see and share more about each other rather than just a photo and short bio.
It would be interesting to see how this type of this type of thing would work in a broader spectrum site with more people.

MsAl Level 8 Apr 11, 2018

Yes, and that is a good part about this app.

Good idea. Some people are just serial dating too. I had no trouble getting dates on those sites but I'm not looking for just dating.

I am here for the community and dating but i don't state either really ... love the site and the model !! A lot of great people..

I think this combo discussion-forum/dating site model is bloody brilliant. I think all dating sites should have (well-moderated) discussion forums so you can get to know people better.

What other sites are you talking about? Dating sites are one thing, but I think that on any other site people should not have to state anything about themselves if they don't want to.

marga Level 7 Apr 11, 2018

I only state interests .. I want to talk to people to get to know them and them me and make up their own mind wether I am kind, a dick, have empathy, am funny or not etc ... I feel uncomfy when people summarise their good points. We are all different and not stating that stuff gives people space to find out I feel.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55487
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.