Agnostic.com

55 9

Have you ever met anybody who actually believed the Earth was 6,000 years old?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh yes. I was substituting in high school several years ago during the evolution chapter. The student actually started reading from the "10 questions to ask your teacher about evolution" that he was trying to hid from me. Google that phrase and look at the questions. It is obvious that anyone who asks those questions believes in a 6000 year old earth. Ridiculous.

Too many to count, sadly

My Dad

I sometimes meet them - they always arrive in clumps of two or three. I invite them in to my house, sit them down and offer them a cup of tea. Then, when they are trapped (because they are too polite to leave!) I tie them up with questions about evolution, get them to admit to accepting the speed of light and then ask about the time-scales of distant galaxies, especially if their bible claimsf they were all created 3 days before the creation of man, a mere 6,000 years ago. I'm always very polite, and listen quietly to their answers before politely asking them questions that conflict with their answers. Maybe, (God willing!) I can one day convert one of them - but unfortunately their visits to me are not so frequent nowadays, much to the envy of my neighbours!

Yup. And it's the only time I've left a conversation without an explanation.

Yes, many.

Yep, there are lots of them. A Gallup poll last year found that 38% of Americans believe God created man in his present form. I doubt that very many of these 38% have thought much on the subject or even know of Ussher but plenty of Bible thumpers do. Only 19% believe man evolved without direction from God's hand. It is frightening how many of our fellow Americans who vote believe in ghosts, angels, unicorns (no, not that kind) UFOS and all sorts of crap. [news.gallup.com]

I live in East Tennessee. Most of the people I know, believe that shit. It makes me crazy to think about it. I can't believe with the resources we have today, that people choose to be so ignorant.

My mother.

I grew up among those people.

Live in the South of the US. They are all over the place.

Yes and have also known people who believe though Earth's age might be a good deal more than 6,000 years, that people, our kind, Adam & Eve products, etc. are only about 6,000 years old.

I partially agree. About that time was a period that saw (relatively) rapid and wide-spread changes in the environment, primarily in the form of desertification. We know from Archeology and even some ancient writings that portions of the planet now largely desert were once fertile and abundant with animal life, water and vegetation.

Biblical writings, if not taken too literally, also describe a loss of Paradise and subsequent loss of status for females, blamed in fables for the ills of human kind. It isn't just limited to Genesis either. Look at poor Pandora! These staunch supporters of all that Patriarchy as afflicted us with, in a way of speaking are partially correct.

THEIR WORLD IS ONLY 6,000 YEARS OLD; not ours. The sooner their world succombs to it's self-inflicted miseries, now matter how painful, the better for the future of our kinid.

Homo sapiens sapiens is far older than 6,000 years. You sound like one of them.

@hemingwaykitten I thought you knew that our androcentric theological fanatic 'pastors' are a breed are above us.

@Silver1wun ???

I found a seashell about a hundred miles from beach in Turkey. I wish I had saved it to remind myself of the transitive nature of my short life in the grand scheme of things merely a mote.

@RDaneel You're a poet! Do you know it? ?

@hemingwaykitten nah just a retired English teacher chuckle

Yes I have in the past when I was brain damaged by religion. I met one guy that said that dinosaur bones where planted by atheists to deny the existance of God. I'm not making this up!

Lmfao! I heard something like that, but it was Satan instead that was going around planting dinosaur bones to confuse people.

@EmeraldJewel Oh yeah, they will make up all kinds of shit, huh?

@balou yes and it pisses me off. I actually had a woman tell me earth appears older is cause god put everything on pause when he and the devil had a huge blowout and when he kicked him out of Heaven.

@EmeraldJewel It's a mind blow what some people will believe!

Yes and have met a flat earther...he was even more entertaining.

How about firmament believers? lol

Sadly and disturbingly yes. My neighbor who looks over my cats when I travel was telling me of her life’s goals (which were few sadly as she’s a bright girl with so much potential) which included visiting the “arc museum in KY.” I had to make great effort not to look horrified.

Oh! Ffs! I cheered when that theme park went bankrupt.

yes. my mom does. sadly

In the town 12 miles from my house these morons have a creationist museum, so yes I have. They are so wacked out on their religion they live in a world of delusion.
Look up Innisfail, Alberta, Canada and a place called Dino's its a museum, restaurant, mini golf amusement park.
The are so wacked out that they have spent at least a Million building this place and probably about half that amount to buy the land.

What?! I'm in Edmonton - I'm going to look that up!

@Jellifish1 If you take the second exit going south on #2 at Innisfail, then take the first left, turn right at the stop sign and then left into the driveway after the houses bingo you are there. You can see the big plastic dinosaur out front and inside you can see them all saddled up for Jesus to ride.

Yes, many.
too many.It is the kids at high school now, so 15 year olds taht scare me. OK< Jo hos usually, but many kids at strict Christian schools are still taught from the bible. That is why the Government should withdraw all funding from religious schools.

I have met a few. They were all Seventh-day Adventist.

My brother is a Nazarene

yes... he thinks dinasaur bones were put there by man recently

Yes. Unfortunately, my family and I (before I grew out of religion). Like @dianahdz88 mentions, because I loved Science, I tried to fit Science into the Bible and vice-versa, going to great lengths to do the limbo with excuses. For example, I used the "With the Lord, a day is like a 1000 years and a 1000 years are like a day" (2 Peter 3 v8 ) - a verse that essentially makes no sense, to try to reason that "lots of my time = tiny amount of god time", therefore the earth could be much older. As I grew older, I just couldn't reconcile science with religion.

I've got family that do.

Yep. At work. Seems to go hand in hand with belief that sex education and homosexuality are baaadd. Oh and tv shouldn't allow shows like Will & Grace. Needless to say this is a person I desperately avoid at work.

Bible literalists must actively protest abortion and homosexuality above every other "sin." Their clergy tells them they will go straight to hell if they aren't with the program.

I would find ways to fit the bible into science. I would say things like " well god is so great and infinite that when he says he built earth in a week it actually means billions of years because for him our lifetimes are mere seconds". I was so full of it lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:55596
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.