Agnostic.com

7 17

Today's hike in snow. Quiet and serene without other people and dogs.

Today Karen and I hiked up snowy, unplowed Hatchery Creek road in the Cascade Mountains, eight miles total with a thousand feet of elevation gain.

"Will we need snowshoes or microspikes?" we debated when we arrived. We chose microspikes. At first, it was easy to walk on packed down, pickup tracks. After a mile, we saw where trucks had turned around because it was too steep and slippery. They were fishtailing and gave up.

Goodbye packed tire tracks. Hello, post-holing in deep snow!

Hatchery Creek was musically rushing with snow-melt. The mountain road got steeper as we ascended.

"I love how quiet and serene it is without being inundated by lots of people and dogs," I said. We never saw another person. Perfect.

Because Washington State is so far north, the sun sets far to the south in December. Days get shorter until Winter Solstice on December 21. South-facing slopes were bare of snow where they get sun. We were hiking on the snowy north side of the mountain.

We stood to eat lunch because it was too cold to sit on snow. Even with an inflatable pad. Only our feet were cold in boots standing on the snow.

As the day got warmer, the temperature changed just enough to make snow clump and stick to the bottom of our micro-spikes. Tired of trying to knock off wads of snow, we ditched the micro-spikes for the last mile to the car. Watch out for slippery ice.

We agreed Hatchery Creek road is wonderful in the snow. Wildflowers are great in Spring.

Photos:

1. Lunch view.

2. Frozen fog covered a baby Fir tree with ice crystals.

3. Looking north. Fog was rolling in.

4. South-facing slope was mostly bare of snow. It gets sun.

5. Broken by heavy snow, a dried wildflower looks like a lamp.

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love them picks.

Yet again, you prove to be a photographer and autobiographer

It's your fault.

@Holysocks

Thanks for the compliment about my photos. What is my fault?

@LiterateHiker
That you are a great photographer and storyteller.

@Holysocks

Thank you. Half Irish, I'm a born storyteller.

Lovely, haven’t seen tree tops on the snow like that since the alps 😊 Thanks for reminding me of those memories and letting me live vicariously through you while I’m working at home with rainy days evenings that start at 4pm!

@girlwithsmiles

Thank you, dear.

The 2nd photo is a small Fir tree covered with frozen fog. Ice crystals.

@LiterateHiker 😂 oh well, reminiscent of a tree top 😊

@girlwithsmiles

It does look like the top of a tree.

A beautiful fall Hike you two had today, Your pictures are beautiful and quite refreshing brrrrr lol . Yes days getting a lot shorter here also , another 3 weeks before it starts changing back,, really do not notice much of a change till early February

As always you take such beautiful pictures.

@xenoview

Thank you!

I remember living in the greater Seattle area, after the kids got home from school it was immediately dark, and in summer it didn't get dark til after 10pm to shoot off fireworks. Your pictures are lovely and amazing!

@HippieChick58

Thank you.

That's why I saved 4th of July sparklers for my daughter until New Years Day. It was safer in the snow.

Claire had to go to bed at 8 p.m. when she was little.

I re4member the same kind of thing about West Berlin. In the winter, it did not get fully daylight until 8:30 AN and it got dark at about 4 PM. In the summer it did not get dark until 10:30 at night, and daylight came at 2:30 AM. My first summer there, I remember awakening at about 5 AM and panicking, thinking that I had overslept.

One thing that I always enjoyed about fresh, deep snow was the beautiful silence.

I used to think the same until I opened the door and it was 4 feet high, and I had to shovel it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:557945
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.