Agnostic.com

3 1

Wikipedia is asking for donations

Never thought I’d see the day that Wikipedia asks for donations. Thoughts?

GoodMan 7 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This sounds about right. Keep in ind that if everyone just sent me a dollar I would be a very rich man. Take notice of your place here on the list and mail to the next guy, knowing that your time will also come. Maybe, then maybe not.

First let say that in the beginning Wikipedia had problrms. Too easy for unqualified people to edit and alter before fact checkers could do there job. Especially on socially hot topic items.

But like any organization it has grown, as the procedures it uses for edits and additions. Wikipedia employs hundreds of fact checkers in multiple fields. Most are professionals in their field and volunteer their time and expertise. They also havran exceptionally large corpus of fact checkers in their employ.

As a science teacher and educator its impossible to be an expert in all fields. Wikipedia has been an invaluable tool in areas where I have some knowledge, but need some further background to fill in areas where I lack specifics. You must have an account in oder to edit. All edits are flagged and investigated by their fact checkets.

What's sad are those people who are incapable is assessing the credibility of a source. Who hold on to old prejudices and are incapable of growing like Wikipedia has succeeded in doing. Wikipedia has acquired a bad name, but it was the first online encyclopedia if it's kind. I wouldn't use for a dissertation source, but as a quick reference source I am glad its available.

I have donated to Wikipedia for the last two years and intend to continue to doing so in the future.

I donate to them also. If I need to know about something, not politics or anything that involves opinions. If I need further sourcing I go to the sources at the bottom of the page.

I agree, “What’s sad are those people incapable of assessing...” I find it useful, and have supported as well.

@dalefvictor they are the primary recipient of my Brave browser revenue. About $5 a month.

We could do better for sure but for the most part at the cost per accurate or in good faith fact I think they are the best. A source of sources of you will and as a kicking off place that is a great place to be.

Wikipedia asks for donations about once a year. They have no other way to generate income since they are non-profit and don't run any advertisements. I've made a few small donations to them over the years and will likely donate again.

I’ve donated before too, but this time I noticed a random pop up while using a friends computer.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:558175
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.