Agnostic.com

2 5

LINK U.S. To Proceed With Executions Before the Transition to set Precedent

If Trump can't stay in power, he'll pardon a bunch of his friends and family and maybe take a bribe or two. Meanwhile he can execute 5 black people. Fun times.

barjoe 9 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's what I expect from him and the voters seem to demand capital punishment so that's also not unusual. If I were King our ideas for justice and incarceration would be entirely different but I'm not. Punishment was carried out for political points, yes, but in line with the sentence.

"In a normal presidency that followed the traditional norms of civility, you wouldn't see executions during a transition period." It's right there in the article.

@LovinLarge I'm aware of that. While unusual it is not unlawful to carry out a sentence. Death Penalty has been a gop plank forever so expediting the sentences to gain greater political steam is rather astute.

@rainmanjr Not according to any outgoing Republican president in over a century.

@LovinLarge Again, unusual but not out of line with law.

@rainmanjr Neither the article nor the post were talking about the law, they both spoke of the incivilty of this administration. It's the hypocrisy of the SCOTUS nomination all over again.

@LovinLarge I didn't read the thing because I'm aware that the death penalty is approved law. Carrying it out, even from an unusual source, is a shrewd action to gain greater approval with party* for his 2024 campaign. He's uncivil? That's really not new, or in dispute, either and not against the law. I'm far more bothered by what he's doing that is corrupt.

@rainmanjr. The article is not about the legality of the death penalty. It is about a new aspect of the incivility of this administration unprecedented in modern history.

@LovinLarge Oh. Then I'm really glad that I didn't read it because I don't look for this gang to be civil. In fact, I think hope that he might do something civil could be a fatal mistake. It causes us to wrench the steering wheel and roll the car. I'm not going to concern myself with horror for what our society largely approves of, though. The fact that those folks had such a sentence at all was the horror so our crime was already done.

@rainmanjr You should read a link that you comment on especially if you argue in a thread with someone who did. The fact is Trump accelerated the timeline for these executions, but I wouldn't want you to concern yourself with that.

@barjoe I'm finding that liberals also get really bothered if I don't agree with them, or they can't process it, but I think outside their boxes as well. I'm a realist who finds either party faithful just seems to find something to be mad about. Running against the death penalty often costs a Democrat the race so we don't hear them talk about it unless asked. As I said, the penalty itself is the mistake. Accelerating that penalty is getting the job done and gop likes that in a leader so I understand why he did it. He's desperately trying to do anything that will give him more votes in 2024. It's probably also more humane than making them sit on Death Row hoping society changes.

Being Evangelical, or Baptist, is Islamic, means accepting a wrathful God who kills the unjust. That we are commanded to do the same. There would be no gop if it weren't for religion. I concern myself with realities that I can change, which is mostly my own attitude, and death is not one of them. You'll just have to get over that I'm more bothered by 45's corruption. Humans are a goofy species, headed for extinction themselves (soon), so the death of people who probably also deserved it doesn't concern me. That would be like getting upset that some breaths cause me to cough.

Oh, I'll comment on whatever a headline makes me feel like commenting on.

@rainmanjr You don't have to agree with liberals. I often don't myself. I actually do think there's many cases where death penalty is warranted. You can disagree with people on this. My disagreement with you is adamantly bragging that you didn't read the npr article, you don't have to and don't want to. You don't have to read anything! To argue with someone about an article that they read and you didn't is inappropriate on your part.

@barjoe By the way Joe, thanks for posting that article. It's an important one and I would have missed it if you hadn't. Sorry to shit all over your thread but five peoples' lives were important enough to me to do so.

@LovinLarge Artfully done. Maybe I deserved it and maybe I don't. After all, we're talking about 5 probably mean lives among the loss of 300,000 (by pandemic alone). There's been plenty more death since the 21st Century began but let's definitely focus on these 5. If 45's numerous crimes against this society isn't enough to sink him then this society should sink into its own morass. Democrats jumping on a popular aspect of punishment, on the heels of "Defunding police," is also probably not an argument which will win over many right leaning centrists. I'm a very political strategist so I don't advise that. Maybe that's why the story doesn't bother me? But by all means go ahead and be outraged by every single reported action that 45 makes because that, too, discredits the party of being fair. We are just as hateful of them as they are of us and both for great reasons. Our reasons are, imo, a bit better but I'm biased toward the left.

What a dick.

Mvtt Level 7 Dec 6, 2020
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:558507
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.