Agnostic.com

7 4

LINK Survey: Despite Changing Culture, Young People Still Hide Their “Atheist” Label | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

Today, American Atheists and the Secular Student Alliance are releasing a new analysis of that survey, this time focusing on younger non-believers. Their report is titled “The Tipping Point Generation: America’s Nonreligious Youth” and some of the results are surprising even to me.

snytiger6 9 Dec 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That’s ok. That’s why they’re young. When they’re older they’ll be more mature, more wiser and they will proudly show who they are. Maybe in 5 years there will be double or triple, maybe more users on this site.

Sounds like religious conversion through discrimination.

Well most sadly and unfortunately, imo, it only stands to reason since we, the Atheists, etc, etc, have been ground down under the vicious boot heels of religions for centuries upon centuries.
So , of course people young and old are afraid to Stand up and be Counted even though, imo, they should not be so since Christianity in particular,imo, has had its fangs pulled somewhat of late and though it still hisses, it is becoming more and more like little more than a frightened worm and less like the vicious, brutal, venomous snake it once was.
Religions and its religio-tard followers THRIVE on the false fears and dreads they TRY to instill into us and when show fear it feeds them, hence, the opposite occurs when we ALL Stand united and show NO Fear.
We should ALL Stand Tall, Stand Proud and Stand 100% FIRM, Fear them NOT and stand together as ONE for that is TRULY what they fear and dread the most.

I wouldn't want to be a young, 'out' atheist in the bible-belt.

I sure do wish more people would be less afraid of the reactions of others.
When more non-believers challenge the reactions of believers, the feared consequences will become less prevalent.

Fear is the mind-killer.
Be bold.
Defy the naysayers.

Of course they do, they have a lot to loose sometimes.

Personally I'd rather loose friends and family any day rather than loose my self-respect, etc, etc, to religious oppressions.
Which, imo, is what religions are trying to regain these days.

Depending on geography and peer group this shouldn't be all that surprising.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:559434
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.