Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK The U.S. Ranks 24th in Global Ranking of Nations Promoting Freedom of Thought | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

For the ninth straight year, Humanists International has released its annual “Freedom of Thought Report” describing serious cases of discrimination and persecution against atheists around the world.

As you’d expect from anything released in 2020, there’s a lot of bad news. The report says that blasphemy is a criminal offense in at least 68 countries, religious courts settle cases in 48 countries, atheists are prohibited from holding at least some elected offices in 26 countries, and there is open harassment and violence against atheists in 12 countries.

The worst nations in the world when it comes to freedom of thought are, in order, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, the United Arab Emirates, and Yemen. The best include Belgium, the Netherlands, and Taiwan.

The United States ranks 24th on that list of 141 nations, an improvement from 32nd last year.

snytiger6 9 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And slipping day by day.

America has always been a lot like Trump in one way; it has always liked to take credit for accomplishments it never achieved.

IMO, what can one say here BUT How did that happen?

I too am surprised we made it that high...but perhaps it is like the Million Moms org, where she has less than 5,000 actual members, they are just loud & pushy?

Actually, and out of curiosity mainly, I did a bit of research into this 1 Million Christian Moms movement.
It turns out that this 1 Million so-called 'membership list' would very hard pressed to fill a phone booth at ANY given time let alone an Annual General Meeting.
In all truth, there IS just 1 Monica Cole with a pretended following of 999,999 Christian Moms.

@Triphid she has about 5,000 followers on FB, about the same as I used to in the GO BERNIE 2016 campaign i invented. But I am sure she takes in a bunch of $$$, and enjoys a terrific tax status, so she must be smarter than I am......

My rights end , where your nose , begins and vise versa . You do not have the right to infect others with the corona . Wear a mask . Maybe we'll both make it to tomorrow .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:560223
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.