Agnostic.com

9 13

I’m an atheist who finds the study of religion fascinating. I’m not talking about theology but the scientific and historical approach to religion helped me realize that religion are just a bunch of stories. Stories that like human nature change in response to the changing times. From what I gathered, religion is just a way to explain everything before we had the means to study the world.

Which is why I find it irritating that so many people take these stories way too seriously. To me, the actual story shown by science on how each religion came to be, is more fascinating than believing in a divine origins. Cause the true story is a great insight on how human culture developed and made up these stories to begin with to explain their surroundings.

Tyrantmike 6 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

unfortunately "mythology" now means "myth" to most ppl

Nothing fascinating about religion. It's all made up stories to give the holyman power to control people.

swing/miss

If you want a more in-depth look at the power of stories that are made up and true to those who believe them, read Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. It will provide you with a much broader and more nuanced view.

There's a lot more to it than that. Religion is a way to control people and procreate tribalism. Religion is political. Notice how strict the hiearchy is from the pope on down to the alter boy. It's about control. Do you think there would have been so many wars in history if religion was just a collection of stories? Notice the body language of churchgoers: on their knees with hand extended in prayer like a slave waiting to be shackled.

Yes they are great stories, and you can learn much about human nature from them in an entertaining way. And sometimes they can bring you to a meaningful connection with people in the past.

They’re more fun than a barrel full of monkeys when not taken seriously. It helps to call them all myths instead of religion. Less depressing.

And more accurate

Religion ... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

What religion are you talking about?

What scientific approach have you that shows your definition of "religion " is just about some collection of stories?

Word Level 8 Dec 24, 2020

Yes I too find the stories interesting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:563121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.