Agnostic.com

6 5

respecting beliefs | why we should do no such thing [cc]

Somnium 6 Dec 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I respect beliefs that I share. I respect other people’s right to believe differently, right up to the point that it negatively impacts me.

I do that but only if mine are equally respected.

I have no obligation to respect bullshit.
No matter who is spouting it.

I have no place for hate in my life but I'm also not going to respect your beliefs. Why should I? Nobody is respecting my beliefs.

A request to respect other people's beliefs is only shorthand for respecting their right to hold whatever beliefs they find believable. In short - religious freedom. Surely no one thinks it means literally respecting the belief itself. That's not a reasonable request.

skado Level 9 Dec 24, 2020

I respect people, no matter how much I disrespect what they believe. If I voice that disrespect, I'm disrespecting that person. If they proselytise to me, I'll tell them no thank you, if they persist, I'll tell them go fuck yourself. HL Menchken was wrong about a lot of stuff BTW.

@DangerDave I don't like to admit it but I have plenty of hate in me. I don't hate a lot of people but I do hate. I'm a hater if its warranted.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:563356
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.