Agnostic.com

10 8

LINK Racist Business Owner Who Used “China Virus” in Ad: I’m a “Good Christian” | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

The Moorhead Auto Center in Fairfield, California has been offering “free smog checks” — a $50 value — to customers affected by the virus, which seems like a kind gesture. But the owner didn’t just say “virus” in his ad. He made it clear the auto center were referring to the “China virus,” adding a dose of racism to an already awful situation.

When ABC7 News anchor Dion Lim called up the owner, Jeff Moorhead, to ask if he would consider changing the language on the advertisement, he doubled down on it and even brought his faith into it.

snytiger6 9 Dec 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

China is not a race, it is a country, so there was no "dose of racism".

A racist would not know that. Many racists refer to all Asians as beign from China.

@snytiger6 I'm not so sure about that, but don't care to argue the point.

So his defense was "Trump's a racist too!" Self-owning GOPers are all the rage these days.

Of course it is the China Virus. That's what Trump had. He also said the "China Flu." It may take years to get rid of all the BS that Trumpy has given "good Christians" and all the rest of us.

So glad he's on the West coast which has a much larger Asian population than most places. I hope his trumpster tactics loses him a lot of business.

I'm confused. Is he claiming to be a good Christian because he is stupid, or is he stupid because he is a good Christian? The story doesn't make it clear.

Great question!

I do not understand the logic of referring to calling the Covid-19 virus "The China Virus" as being racist. It did in fact originate in china, did it not? Consider how the 1918 flu was called the "Spanish Flu" despite the fact that it originated on a U.S. Army post in Kansas. Someone explain it to me, if you will.

I think it was called Spanish flu because it was first mentioned in the Spanish media. US kept it under wraps because of the war.
Meanwhile trump is just trying to shift any blame for his performance .....
Not sure I’d call it racist per se.

A lot of persons of Asian descent have experienced violence because peopel called it the "China Virus".

However the evolution of a new virus is not the fault of the Chinese (or any other Asian group), and teh only purpose of attributing it as the "China virus" when it has the name of Covid-19 is to denigrate persons of Asian descent... and it worked as many Asians get attacked because racists blame then for a result of evolution and because they say "China Virus" instead of Covid-19.

most of the people who say "China virus" know exacrly what they are doing, and that it will cause harm to those of Asian descent.

@snytiger6 Did calling the 1918 Flu the "Spanish" flu get people of Spanish descent attacked? Saying that calling the Covid-19 virus the "China" virus is drawing an inference from something that is not necessarily implied. At worst it is political correctness run amuck. If the 1918 flu had been referred to as the "American" flu (actually it did originate here), no one would have been outraged.

@dahermit I have read several articles and I believe have posted some of them here about Asians beign attacked due to Trump and others cal;ling Covid-19 the "China Virus. It is happening, whether or not you choose to acknowledge it.

@snytiger6 So, the determination of whether or not something is politically correct is that some ethnic group is being physically attacked or not? You likely do know that I am a Plock. The point seems to have been missed that physically attacking someone is wrong, referring to the country of origin of a particular disease harms no one..."sticks and stones".
The stupidity of those people attacking Asians because they think that Asians brought the Covid-19 virus to the U.S. does not render calling that virus the "China" virus an offense...anyone with half a brain will realize that despite originating in China, it is likely that it was transmitted to the U.S. by other than people of Chinese origin...more likely an American businessman or tourist. In any event, people are getting their pantaloons in a bunch over nothing.

He can say he is Batman, but that doesn't make it so.

Imbeciles are the same the world over.

Same shit, different face...

I thought that "god" was suppose to love all his children. Just another lie the way his followers get it as.

Some of them wouldn’t know truth if it was computerized into them.

It is the Trump virus.

Damn right it is!

And the man himself is a fuckin’ cancer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:564765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.