Agnostic.com

9 16

Meteorologist's stomach-churning PSA: "Don't eat icicles."

This morning, meteorologist Katie Nickoloau shared a TikTok video of a woman (with her face obscured) eating a long icicle pulled from the roof of her home. “Please don’t do that,” Nickolaou, 24, says in the footage. “I’m a meteorologist — I should know.”

She explained: “When icicles form, it’s from water that melts off of your roof and runs down the side of a building. Well, here’s the thing: You know what else is on your roof? Bird poop. A lot of it. And that water picks it up and freezes it in the ice. You’re eating poop!”

Animal excrement, tar, lead, car exhaust and other carcinogens

“In order for water to condense and form rain or snow, it needs cloud condensation nuclei [aerosol particles],” she says. “That’s a fancy term for a piece of dirt, salt, carbon or dust.” Icicles from rooftops can contain tar, lead or animal excrement, she says, and those from car mufflers may carry exhaust and other carcinogens.

Nickolaou, who has worked at the station for less than two years, wants to make people excited about the weather.

Why you shouldn't eat snow

“Next week, I’m posting a video about why you shouldn’t eat snow,” she tells Yahoo Life. “It contains an insect known as ‘snow fleas,’” referring to Springtails fossils, commonly referred to as wingless insects that are found in snow. “When you hang around enough weather nerds, you learn that fun fact.”

[msn.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reminds me of a W.C. Fields quote, "I never drink water......fish fuck in it"...😂...guess that explains why he was an alcoholic😂

So, what's the diff between eating snow or icicles and drinking water out of a creek, dam or water tank. Most farms in Aussie survive on water collected from rain from the roof. We just put a stocking over the tap outlet to collect the debris. So what's wrong with bird shit? You're either drinking water that birds have shat in or that fish have shat in. Don't be so precious

I think every kid way back when and never gave it a 2nd thought

Can’t argue with you there

I remember explaining to my kids when they were small.....ick!

Good grief! I ate a crap ton of snow as a kid.

and we have some very healthy immune systems because of it

I remember my mom making snow ice cream as her mother had done. And I wouldn't eat it. She asked why, and I pointed out air pollution...she threw it away.

Oops

When I lived near Seattle, they were closing beaches because there were so many geese in the water they were fouling(fowling?) (no pun intended) the water.
Some things are part of the normal course -- we have to stay aware.

Damn...I ate a lot of bird poop when I waa a kid...yummy😁😳

That crunch when you chewed it....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:565567
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.