Agnostic.com

5 2

This is a general purpose post; I find myself in an extremely disconcerting situation,my car is being taken as a total loss,yet,only has cosmetic damage. I have no job,money for a short time,and few prospects.On top of this,we are caught on the midst of a worldwide pandemic, which seems to worsen every day.Not much to look forward to,is there?

WayneDalton 8 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nov 30 2008, I was driving back from Myrtle Beach, collision in Cincinatti. HW patrol report listed me as zero at-fault. My vehicle was 'totalled' for insurance purposes.
Being the original owner of my 1998 Toyota 4Runner, I decided to take a smaller settlement, paid to have it transported from Cincinatti to my house in MN. I spent the next 8 (winter) weeks doing all the repairs (except front-end alignment) myself with mostly "experienced" replacement parts. The hardest part was not knowing (for sure) that I would get it running again. Although the only body-work I did was pounding-out the dents in the front quarter-panel, I had no experience in most of the necessary/crucial work -- replacement of half of the rear axle and hub, complete replacement of ALL the driver-side front suspension components.

TWELVE years later, I am still driving it as my primary vehicle (I have a 'spare' 1996 Olds Cutlass).

Sign waver take deduction for junk value and get it fixed at a small shop

Insurers don't take cars. You can just take whatever they offer, but then they will require you to sign a release saying the car was totaled and no more claims can be submitted for that car.

Would $2000 have improved your situation at all?

A similar thing happened to me a number of years ago but I challenged the insurance company and had it repaired myself and then took the insurance company to court. I had legal costs included in my comprehensive motor insurance policy and so I took the gamble that I’d win in court and get my repair bill paid back...I did, and got £2,500 in compensation awarded on top!

I can see you’re probably not in a position to take a similar course of action and I do sympathise with the predicament you find yourself in. All I can say is..I’m sure things will get better in time, but in the meantime hang in there and try not to be too pessimistic.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:566198
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.